xxix

CHAPTER TWENTY NINE | with love

Sitting at home alone is not fun. Thomas had been too busy with work these past few days, leaving Lucie extremely bored. It wasn't until Friday when she realised she had somewhere to go.

Ada had been sending her and Polly letters whilst she's been living in London. Always asking for one of them to come down and see her. Plus she had her address anyways.

Lucie had never been to London but she was excited to see Ada, it had been a long time since they'd last spoke in person. Lucie wore one of Thomas' shirts he'd left two days ago, paired with a burgundy skirt she'd borrowed from Polly.

Locking the door of her hidden home Lucie swiftly walked towards Polly's home. It was freezing outside, but Lucie enjoyed it. September to December was always her favourite time of year.

She couldn't hear the buzz of boys working in Polly's house when she entered, a sound she oddly missed. In fact it was silent. And Lucie didn't like it.

"Polly? You here? It's Lucie." She shouted through the empty home.

"Just us, Love." A gruff voice replied.

As Lucie entered the kitchen she saw Arthur sat with John, whiskeys in hand and cigarettes hanging from their lips.

"Shouldn't you two be at work?" Lucie giggled, taking a cigarette from John.

"We run the business." John smiled.

"Alright then." Lucie replied rolling her eyes. "Tell Polly I'm visiting Ada for the week, she wanted someone to see her, and Tom's been busy all week so I'll be back next Friday." Lucie began to walk away before Arthur spoke.

"Luce, he's upstairs, just tell him your going. Saves us a job." Arthur downed his whiskey and poured himself another.

Lucie sighed and began to walk up the stairs slowly. She wandered up to his study and peered in. He was sat in his chair with his head on his desk. Asleep. Lucie smiled and opened the door slowly, trying her best to be as quiet as possible.

She tiptoed over to his desk and found a piece of paper to leave a note for Thomas.

'Tommy,
I am leaving to see Ada, she's lonely and wants someone to talk to. I'll be back by the weeks end. I'll see my mum and dad to find out if Mr Solomon's will see you. I'll be taking the train, 7:15pm to Camden Town train station. If you have chance come see me before I leave.
Lucie x'

"Bye Tommy." Lucie kissed the top of his head and left the room quietly.

"Arthur, John? You still here?" Lucie asked, wandering into the kitchen.

John was sat alone at the table, cigarette in hand, smiling at Lucie. She grabbed her coat from the back of a chair and pulled her purse over her shoulder.

"I'll see you Friday, John." Lucie smiled and moved to give him a hug.

"No you won't, Love." John replied, standing to face Lucie.

"Why?" Lucie questioned very confused.

"I'm off to see the Lees. Esme wants to see them and all that." John laughed.