xliii

CHAPTER FORTY THREE | time is precious

An odd feeling rested in Lucie's stomach the next morning, their screaming match became a confession of love for each other.

Thomas has left early in the morning with Polly, leaving Lucie alone in his house. He had left her a note scribbled on the bed side cabinet, telling her to return to his house after her day. Which was filled with the task of buying Thomas and his siblings Christmas presents. Lucie has already purchased Esme's, her relatives and John's childrens presents.

She reluctantly pulled herself from the warmth of Thomas' house and left in search of Esme, so they could hunt for presents.

With Esme's and the children's presents in hand, Lucie left, locking the small door behind her. The cold air froze Lucie whilst she walked through the smog infested streets. Passing blinders smiled and greeted their bosses girlfriend.

Esme's home was surprisingly quiet, not even the shout of a child or their laughter. Once Lucie had entered she realised the children were with the Lee's for Christmas giving John and Esme a break.

"Esme! God it feels like forever since i last saw you." Lucie squealed, engulfing her best friend into a tight embrace.

"Right, sit down, we need a catch up!" Esme led Lucie into the small sitting room, leaving to make tea for her company.

Esme and Lucie sat in fits of giggles, sharing stories and secrets. Esme has revealed her short conversations with Thomas days prior.

"I told him, give you attention, tell you you're beautiful, so." Esme took a sip from her tea, "has he?"

"We has an argument yesterday." Lucie began.

"Right, that's it, I'm fucking killing him." Esme spat.

"No Esme." Lucie laughed, "We argued and then he told me.... he loves me."

Esme squealed and jumped for Lucie, giggling like a child on their birthday. She was elated for her best friend, after waiting so long. Thomas Shelby has a heart, somewhere.

"Right, Esme, time to open your present. I've got the kids ones with me too but just gave them, them on Christmas." Lucie smiled, revealing a brown paper present. She had already placed a bag filled with more under the tree.

Esme took the present and began to delicately untie the string. Removing the paper so it looked like new. Esme was in utter shock.

"Lucie, you haven't!" Esme laughed.

"I have."

"But Luce, I don't mean to be rude, you've got no money."

"Saved up."

"Yes but a fucking stable! Lucie that's worth hundreds." Esme sighed.

"Look, it's for you and John and the kids. Take it." Lucie smiled, pulling Esme into a hug.

"Right, ours is shit compared to that, but." Esme reached to her side to reveal to presents, both wrapped just like Lucie's.