xlix

CHAPTER FORTY NINE | back from the dead

Epsom, Derby Day 1922

Today is Derby Day.

Tommy came up behind Lucie whilst she painted her lips a dark shade of red, complementing her fair complexion. Lucie smiled at Thomas in the mirror, placing her lipstick neatly into her clutch.

The pair gazed into the mirror. Thomas studied Lucie. She never followed the beauty trends. Her dress grazed her ankles, pulling in at her waist tightly. The cream dress accompanied with a red clutch knocked the breath from Tommy's lungs.

Lucie watched him in the reflection. A new crisp black suit. Freshly shined pointed shoes, black, of course. His white shirt fit perfectly. His black waistcoat fully buttoned, a red tie tucked beneath it. All tied together by his peaky cap.

His hands gripped Lucie's waist tightly, pulling her against him. Tommy place a small kiss on Lucie's neck, sending shivers down her spine. A smile settled on Tommy's lips, watching the woman he loved in front of him.

"I'll meet you there, I need to speak with Alfie first." Tommy sighed.

"You tell that bastard I'm after his balls after what he did to Arthur." Lucie spoke sternly, whilst turning to face Thomas.

"I will, Love." He laughed in response.

Lucie sighed and clutched the lapels of Tommy's jacket. Looking up at him with a sad expression. Pouting softly.

"Do you have to leave? Do I really need to travel there with Lizzie, Tom?" Lucie whined.

"I'm sorry, Luce, but I need to leave early." Thomas sighed, pulling her hands from his jacket.

"Oh, Thomas Shelby you mysterious, mysterious man." Lucie smiled and brought her hand to his cheek. "But your my mysterious man."

She laughed softly before connecting her lips with Tommy's. She smiled at his pink stained lips. Swiping her thumb along them softly.

"You owe me big time, Shelby. Hardly see you these days." Lucie sighed.

"I'll repay you." Thomas smiled, grabbing his coat.

"I'll meet you at the bar." Thomas said running out of the door.

Lucie picked up her red coat, white fur accented the edges. Before she left the home she ran back to their bedroom, pulling open the draw under their bed. Lucie had hidden two items inside the locked draw. A knife. Her weapon. A gun, loaded. She had a label attached to her now that she knew Thomas. Many could be out to get her.

Lucie was sat beside Lizzie, in silence. Deafening silence. The pair had a mutual hate for one another. They hadn't spoken for a long time. This was a chance for change, and Lizzie beat Lucie to it.

"I want us to be friends, Lucie. No more of this shit." Lizzie sighed, her eyes glued to the road ahead.

"Agreed. We can instead direct our mutual hate at the one and only Miss Burgess." Lucie chuckled.

"You talk like a fucking toff sometimes you know that." Lizzie scoffed.

"Might as well pretend to be a posh wanker, I mean, we are off to Epsom aren't we." Lucie giggled.

"Well, here we are."

Lucie had situated herself away from the blinders and away from Lizzie too. She had run off with Jeremiah, leaving Lucie all alone.

"I'll have a whiskey, please." Lucie smiled towards the bartender.

"Whiskey, for a lady?" A voice questioned, an all too familiar voice.

"It's going to be a long day." Lucie sighed, picking up the glass.

"Well then, put that on my tab." The voice had grown closer. "Where's Thomas Shelby then, Lucille?"

Lucie turned to face the man. His dark eyes staring into her own. A scar down his cheek. His presence made Lucie's stomach churn.

"Come any closer and I'll cut you." Lucie whispered. Clinging to the knife in the clutch. "I'm serious."

"Well, tell Tommy, from me. That he will loose." The man began to walk away from Lucie.

"Thomas Shelby doesn't loose Mr Sabini. You'll learn soon enough." Lucie retorted.

She let the remaining golden liquid fall down her throat, whilst she tried to decipher the muffled speech of the announcer. People began to pour out of the small space, leaving Lucie alone, completely.

In the distance, the national anthem was being sung. Lucie noticed a woman, a walking piece of bubblegum. Covered in pink. She clung to a mans arm. He seem to have a strong build, oozing confidence. No doubt rich. The couple had their back to Lucie. Only feet from her.

Lucie heard the race begin, she traced the rim of her empty glass. Feeling anxious and unsettled. Lucie watched the couple spin around to face the bar.

Lucie dropped the empty glass onto the wooden floor in shock. Her breathing rugged and shallow. Tears pricked the corners of Lucie's eyes. She was surely dreaming.

It was Grace.

Grace and her husband.

Grace and her rich American husband.

Grace and James.