iii

CHAPTER THREE | the devil's apprentice

Lucie and Polly made polite conversation throughout the rest of their time together. Most of the time Polly would be the one asking questions, however the pair got on like a house on fire.

It wasn't until late that night that the boys returned from their 'business'. Arthur and John looked furious and Tommy looked his same calm self.

The three Shelby brothers came bounding into the kitchen, ready to tell their aunt of the day they'd had. However Arthur and John stopped in their tracks and stared at the girl. Lucie smiled at the boys.

"Afternoon, John. Afternoon, Arthur." Lucie smiled.

"Sorry about last night Luce, didn't mean to shout at you, I was drunk." Arthur scratched that back of his neck when he apologised.

"No worries, Arthur." Lucie flashed another smile.

"Right boys Lucie needs a word with Thomas so get out and go to the shop." Polly stood quickly and ushered the boys out the room, despite their arguments and the wolf whistle from John, to which Lucie blushed.

Tommy sat on the settee facing Lucie, who was sat opposite him in the kitchen. Neither of them were speaking, however Thomas wasn't breaking eye contact with Lucie.

"Thomas. The Inspector that's come from Belfast." Lucie's words were caught in her throat, she could see Thomas eyes darken, like an ocean in a storm.

"How do you know about him?" Thomas spat. He was angered at the mention of Campbell.

"I know him, well knew him. Back in home, 5 tons of opium got stolen, him and Grace came round to find who'd stolen it."Lucie was cut off when Thomas stood up and marched over to her.

"Did you say Grace? That new barmaid?"

"So you've met the devil woman."

"I have done, she was listening in on our conversation today. I already thought there was something suspicious. So tell me everything." Tommy moved straight back to the settee and Lucie followed, sitting at the opposite end.

So for hours afterwards Lucie told Tommy everything, every touch Campbell tried on her. The cruel words Grace would spit at the girl. Through the whole tale Tommy devised a plan.

Everyone was to pretend they didn't know about Grace's secret. Act as if they were none the wiser, it would help get Campbell right where Tommy wanted him.

Soon enough their topic changed, moving on to the war.

"Tell me about it, Thomas." Lucie was growing tired so she curled up on the settee, making sure to keep her distance from Tommy.

Thomas recited war stories to Lucie, who eventually fell asleep on the settee, curled up in ball. Polly returned home not long later to see Tommy placing his coat over the girl who slept.

"And you've known her how long, Tommy?" Polly asked smirking.

"She told me about Grace and Campbell. So now I'll tell you the plan." Tommy replied taking another drag of his cigarette.