xliv

CHAPTER FORTY FOUR | merry christmas

Lucie had stayed in Thomas' home, wrapping everyone's presents. Thomas hadn't returned, which became increasingly worrying. However, when Lucie rushed up stairs she found him. Alone in his study.

"Thomas?" She asked whilst knocking on the door, "Are you okay?"

"Luce, what are you doing up?" Thomas sighed, slamming a draw shut.

"What are you doing up?" She laughed, walking to his desk smiling.

"Business." He sighed, opening his arms beckoning Lucie in.

She rolled her eyes and giggled, walking towards Thomas and sitting on his lap. Lucie wrapped her arms around his neck and pecked his lips, that was when she noticed.

"Thomas, what have you done to your head?" Lucie asked alarmed, swiping her finger across the small pool of blood.

"For God sake Thomas, come upstairs please, let me fix it." Lucie sighed. He nodded softly and grabbed his cigarette tin before lightly pushing Lucie off his lap.

Luckily, Lucie has already wrapped every present and left the in the corner of the bedroom. Lucie left Thomas on the bed whilst she stifled through a draw to find gaws to clean his head.

"You can dig your fingers into your head all you want, Thomas, but it'll never make the stress go away." Lucie sighed whilst cleaning the blood from his head.

"I know, Luce, it's just, everything replays in my head. It's my way of stopping it. All the death and destruction. I'm a killer." Thomas chuckled.

Lucie cleared away her supplies, before coming to sit beside Thomas. She placed her hand on his cheek, smiling softly.

"You can't be blamed for what other people make you do. I learnt that the hard way." Lucie smiled.

"Why do you call me, Thomas?" He questioned, pulled her close once more.

"It silly really." Lucie chuckled, "She called you Tommy. So I called you Thomas. Now she's gone and I still do it because I don't want to say it, in case it makes you think of her." Lucie lent back onto Thomas and closed her eyes.

"I love you. Not her, not anyone else. You." Thomas kissed the top of Lucie's head, wrapping his arms around her tightly before carrying on.

"Remember what I said, the day Kimber died?" Thomas laughed.

"What time do you call this?" Lucie laughed too, smiling as she did.

"Christmas."

"What?"

"It's past midnight, Luce. Merry Christmas." Thomas smiled.

"Merry Christmas, Tommy." Lucie shifted to look at him, smiling like a child before catching his lips on a tender kiss.

"Open your presents now, I don't want to do it in front of everyone else." Thomas instructed, getting up to reach for Lucie's presents that were hidden under the bed.