v

CHAPTER FIVE | breakfast and babies

Lucie was sat on the settee with Tommy, both in silence, she was finding it hard to stay awake. Soon enough sleep took over the twenty two year old. Her head was tilted back and soft snores left her lips.

Tommy felt bad about just leaving to girl to sleep on the settee so he decided to take her upstairs. Picking her up bridal style, he walked up the stairs and straight to his bedroom. Laying the girl under the covers of his bed. He didn't mind sleeping on the floor tonight.

Lucie was sound asleep in Tommy's bed, curled up under the covers. Tommy was led on the floor, just a pillow under his head.

Dirt surrounded their vision, Tommy was using a small shovel to remove the dirt blocking their way. Danny moved in front of him, using his hands to scoop dirt quickly. Opening a space in the mud. Freddie was pulling the dirt away so that the three could get into the room.

'Tommy!' Danny shouted.

German soldiers had Danny in a head lock and were fighting him. Freddie used the back of his shovel to smash the mans head, sending him to the ground.

'Tommy!'

'Tommy!'

The voice was unfamiliar.

"Thomas wake up." Lucie was shaking a sweating Tommy. "It's okay you're home, wake up."

Tommy shot up, breathing heavily. He was looking at Lucie, worry written across her face.  Her hand was rubbing his slick back, trying to comfort him.

"You good Thomas? Do you need anything?" He just couldn't help but smile, just a little. He shook his head and kept his stare on her.

Lucie wrapped her arms around Tommy's neck, thinking of the ways she used to comfort her brother's friends who would stay over after the war.

"You're okay, you're home." Lucie whispered in Tommy's ear.

Eventually she convinced him to sleep in his own bed and let Lucie take his place on the floor. Tommy was so stubborn.

Lucie ended up led on the free side of Tommy's bed, Thomas occupying the other side. The pair led on their backs staring at the ceiling, he'd known this girl just under two months. Now she was led in his bed.

"Goodnight, Thomas." Lucie whispered before turning her back at Tommy. Attempting to fall asleep.

Just before sleep took over her, she felt a strong arm wrap round her waist, and pull her towards Tommy. Who placed his head in the crook of her neck and kept a firm grip on her waist.

"Night Luce." Tommys voice was barely audible, but laced with sleep.

Lucie was smiling at the closeness of her and Tommy as they slept. Tommy never woke again from a nightmare that night. The feeling of Lucie led next to him helped him sleep.

Finn woke up before the pair, and ran downstairs to his Aunt Polly. Who he informed that Lucie had stayed overnight.

"Aunt Pol, Lucie's here! She's in Tommy's room." Finn was bouncing up and down on Polly's lap.

"Tommy's room eh? Want to go wake them Finn?" Polly chirped. Taking Finn's arms and running upstairs.

When they reached Tommy's room, they saw Lucie and Tommy above to covers still in yesterday's clothes, in the same position they'd fallen asleep in. Tommy's arm still firmly wrapped round Lucie's waist.