vi

CHAPTER SIX |

Lucie and Polly both went with Ada to find out if it was true, if she was really pregnant. Polly and Lucie waited outside until Ada's exam from Mrs. Simeon was over.

"She's pregnant, Polly. No doubt about it." Lucie smoked her cigarette, whilst looking at Polly.

"I know, silly girl. Tommy's gonna' kill her." Polly replied calmly, throwing the end of her cigarette on the floor.

"At least they'll be another Shelby for me to babysit." Lucie tried to make a light hearted joke at the tense moment. However, Ada came out at that moment.

Polly didn't ask her what happened inside instead she grasped her arm and told her to keep walking.

"I'm not getting rid of it, Aunt Pol." Adas voice was shaking as she walked.

"Just come home and we'll talk about it." Polly was not happy. At all.

"I'm off to start my shift, Polly. I'll see you later. Bye, Ada." Lucie wanted to get away as fast as possible. This was a family matter. And extremely awkward.

Lucie was in the pub serving the men sat at the bar. She would watch Grace in the seconds she got alone. Lucie could see Grace staring out of the pub door, most likely looking at Tommy. Lucie knew she was looking at Tommy. No doubt about it.

So when Grace moved away from the window and towards the spit and sick buckets, Lucie got there first, just to annoy her.

"It's alright Grace, I'll do them this time." Lucie smirked and poured the contents into one bucket.

Grace's expression told Lucie everything. Lucie was basking in the power she had over Grace. The upper hand that Tommy had given her.

Lucie made her way to the back door of The Garrison. Her small knit cardigan not nearly thick enough to keep her warm. Her dress was the thinnest and cheapest material used. Lucie couldn't afford an expensive one because of the low pay she received now Grace started working. Her wages were halved.

Lucie could see Tommy walking down the way with a white horse next to him. She wanted his attention but she knew Grace would be watching them. So when Tommy got closer, Lucie panicked and just threw the contents of the bucket right in front of Tommy. Almost catching his trousers with the vile brown liquid.

"Sorry Thomas, didn't mean to almost get you then." Lucie tried to sound truthful, she knew Grace was listening, and she wanted her to think it really was an accident or a ploy for Tommy's attention.

"What's his name?" Lucie inquired, gesturing to the horse Tommy was holding.

"He doesn't have a name." Tommy was trying to calm the horse whilst keeping his composure.

"Poor boy deserves a name don't you think?"

"You have something to say to me Lucie?" Tommy sounded serious which confused the girl. She thought he understood that this was a way to stop Grace getting near him. Although it probably didn't seem like that.

"Grace wants one night a week when there's singing, asked me to ask you. Harry's too afraid too." Lucie had thought of a ruse to get her out of the awkward conversation with the blue eyed gangster.

"But you're not."

"I am, but no one else would ask." Lucie replied, you could hear the shaking in her voice, which Tommy had already noticed.