xi

CHAPTER ELEVEN | you're safe with me

It's race day. Cheltenham.

Lucie was already at Polly's, she'd spent the night. Her dress was already adorning her body. The blue matched her eyes, and her heals matched her white clutch. Looking in the mirror, Lucie felt like a new woman. She felt pretty. Something she hadn't felt in a while.

"What do you think Polly? Does it look okay?" Lucie was nervous, tucking her long raven hair behind her ear.

"My God girl, how aren't you married yet?" Polly asked in awe. No one had ever seen Lucie looking so elegant and lush. She would always wear the same boring blue dress with her hair in the same high ponytail, which she slept in most nights.

Arthur and John came bouncing through the door, freshly cut hair and clean suits. They both wandered into the kitchen looking for Lucie. When they found her they couldn't stop looking at her.

"Close your mouths boys, if you want to keep staring make her a Shelby." Polly smirked.

"I'd make her a fucking Shelby alright." Arthur retorted.

"Keep it in your pants Arthur, Love." Lucie laughed as she began to walk out of the home.

"Bye Polly, I'll see you when I get back." Lucie shouted, giggling when Arthur and John both linked arms with her.

The drive to Cheltenham was filled with humour and laughs, Lucie hadn't spent an extended period of time with Arthur or John before. Now she only wished she had, they made her laugh until her stomach hurt and her cheeks ached.

Upon arrival, Arthur and John met with multiple other peaky boys who were able to sneak Lucie in without anybody seeing. They both left with a kiss on her cheeks.

Through the hustle and bustle Lucie was about to make it to the bar, sitting and drinking a glass of whiskey.

"That'll buy two pound love." Lucie began to search for the shrapnel at the bottom of her purse.

"Put it on my tab." A voice spoke from behind her, one she'd heard before. Kimber.

"Good morning Mr Kimber, thank you for the drink." Lucie spoke as the man sat on the bar stool next to her.

"I told Thomas to bring the pretty barmaid, but it seems he's left her all alone." Kimber spoke, Lucie felt like the walls were slowly coming closer to her, even though they were outside.

"He did bring her Mr Kimber, they just haven't arrived yet." Lucie gave a weak smile and drank her whiskey.

"Well then, I can't leave a pretty girl all alone can I?" Kimber stood up and outstretched his hand for Lucie to grasp. Since she had nothing better to do, she accepted.

Kimber's hand rested on her back, almost practically on her bum. However Lucie never said anything, she was too scared to.

Now Lucie was sat in Kimber's private section, over looking the couples who were dancing, she watched all the pretty woman held close to their man. All the older married couples, who were no doubt richer than most. Then a certain red dress caught Lucie's eye.