xx

CHAPTER TWENTY | totally didn't see that coming

Lucie had decided to spend the morning at Polly's home, they hadn't spoken like they used to in a while. On her way over from her new hidden away home, she walked straight into none other than Lizzie Stark.

"Sorry Lizzie, didn't see you there." Lucie laughed.

"Get out my way." Lizzie spoke harshly, pushing past Lucie.

"What's got your knickers in a twist." Lucie asked, well shouted.

"You lost me a customer, seems like I'm no longer the local Shelby whore." Lizzie seethed, hastily walking back to Lucie.

"You fucking what?" Lucie wasn't overly fond of swearing but now that she was a lot closer with the Shelby's it came natural.

"That's right, I used to be Tommy Shelby's little whore and now it's you. Well be warned when he's bored of you he'll find a new 'en leave you high and dry." Lizzie's spoke in a song like manor.

After Lizzie's words pierced the air, a door swung open beside them. Of course, none other than Thomas Shelby sauntered out, the sound of John's children rang out behind him.

"Lizzie." Thomas nodded his head towards the woman. "And Lucie." Thomas' time became more question like, as he looked at the odd pairing.

"Your whore walked into me, tell her to watch where she's fucking going." Lizzie spat.

"Right I ain't having this no more, fuck, I can't believe I'm about to explain myself to Lizzie Stark. I ain't slept with Tommy, I ain't his whore. Sweetheart, I'm barley twenty three. I'm no whore, unlike some people. So if your quite finished I'll be leaving, sure you can't keep customers waiting." Adrenaline pumped through Lucie's body.

She'd never insulted someone so rudely before, but she deserved it. Lucie was no whore, especially not the Shelby whore. She could here footsteps catching up to her as she stormed away from Lizzie. A firm grip caught her wrist.

"You've got quite the tongue when you want, Love." Tommy chuckled.

"Lizzie Stark called me a whore." Lucie emphasised the two words. "I can't fucking believe it." Lucie was livid, and burning with anger.

"We're all whores Luce, we just sell different parts of ourselves." Tommys words somehow made sense. In a way, she was his whore, but her love and generosity and time were given up, not herself.

Thomas walked with his arm around Lucie's waist to drop her off at Polly's, whilst they walked he spoke of the events he had interrupted seconds before he'd seen the girl. Esme was in for a girlie grilling.

When the two walked into Polly's house she was praying? Polly Gray, praying?

"And watch Thomas, I know how he is. But he does what he does for us. I think. Look out for our Ada, her and the little one are in a dark place, in need of your light to guide them. And Lucie, our little Lucie. Her love for him grows by the day, she's in too deep now. The poor girls had so much grief, Lord. Give her some happiness with the man she loves." Polly made the sign of the cross. "Amen."