xli

CHAPTER FORTY ONE | hammer the nail

Lucie was awoken by a beam of light that flooded through a gap in the curtains, shining onto her face. Lucie looked around the unfamiliar bedroom, her breath quickening. She attempted to sit up but she was being kept down by a strong arm. Lucie began to worry. Until she saw who lay next to her. Tommy.

Lucie turned onto her side, Thomas' arm still draped over her waist. She moved her hand to his face, tracing shapes lightly on his cheeks. She slowly moved her hand towards his lips, tracing them too. She could see the sides of Thomas' lips curl as his eyes fluttered open, looking straight towards Lucie.

"Morning." Lucie smiled, her voice barley making a sound.

"I could get used to waking up with a view like this." Thomas smiled, his voice low.

"All you've got to do is ask." Lucie giggled.

"You won't be waiting long." Thomas smiled, leaning over, and placing gentle kisses on Lucie's face.

"I could lay here all day, but we've got an auction to attend, Mr Shelby." Lucie laughed, putting on the poshest voice she could.

"Come on then, I've - er - bought you a dress, it's in the wardrobe." Thomas tried his best to maintain his gangster style, but Lucie could see straight through it.

"Thomas! You can't be buying me things!" Lucie squealed, sitting up in Thomas' bed watching him walk to the wardrobe.

"Consider it an early christmas present." He spoke his voice back to the default setting as he pulled on a shirt.

"If I get a gift at Christmas I won't be happy Mr. Shelby." Lucie joked, running her hand through her hair, after pulling the duvet up to cover her.

"Looks like you'll have a sad Christmas." Thomas spoke. pulling out the dress he'd bought for Lucie.

"You spoil me Thomas. Too much." Lucie laughed.

The dress was something Lucie would've picked for herself. It was simple yet beautiful. It gave the illusion of a skirt and blouse, however sewn together. The bodice was a white blouse with a small collar, attached to a black pleated skirt. When Lucie looked at the label inside the neckline she was shocked.

'𝚂𝚌𝚘𝚝𝚝 𝚃𝚊𝚒𝚕𝚘𝚛𝚜'

"No, you didn't. Tommy!" Lucie squealed, leaping from the bed to engulf her boyfriend in a tight embrace, which was returned fondly.

"Right, hurry up now, we've got ten minutes." Thomas shooed Lucie to hurry.

The car was parked up outside of Polly's new home, Lucie was squished between John and Arthur. Thomas appeared to the rear of the car, a cigarette hanging from his lips.

"Five minutes." He announce before walking away.

Lucie indulged in hilarious conversations with John and Arthur whilst Thomas headed inside.

"Aunt Pol! Is he ready?" Thomas shouted through the house, walking into the lounge to find them.

Michael was stood in John's old suit, looking just like his cousins, a peaked hat suited him.
However a smile didn't suit a peaked cap.