xxxiii*

CHAPTER THIRTY THREE | blue eyes and raven hair

Everyone was waiting in the betting shop. Thomas had told them all to applaud when Polly arrived. It was her birthday and Thomas had the best present of them all.

Lucie and Thomas were hidden away at the back of the crowd to surprise Polly with there presence. Since they'd been away in London for almost a week.

The door opened and Polly emerged into the betting shop, immediately confused by the crowd of applauding people.

"When the fuck did you two get back?" Polly remarked to the couple who headed towards her.

"We couldn't miss your birthday, Pol." Lucie smiled.

"How do you know it's my birthday? No one ever knows." Polly questioned.

"Oh, but Polly it's different this year." Thomas began to walked with Polly.

"Lads, bring the car round." Lucie instructed to the Shelby brothers.

The car journey to Polly's birthday present was filled with anticipation. Arthur, John and Lucie sat cracking jokes and smoking the odd cigarette. Polly relentlessly asked Thomas where he was taking them.

When everyone arrived in front of the home they piled out of the car. Everyone but Polly knew about her birthday present, which made it so much better seeing Polly shocked, for once.

"Good morning!" Arthur shouted to the neighbours causing Lucie and John to giggle.

The house was beautiful, just right for Polly. Lucie was too busy looking around to listen to when Polly and Thomas were talking about. All she heard was Thomas telling his brothers to leave and wait in the car for him.

Lucie felt like if she went back downstairs Thomas would tell her to wait outside too, and she wanted to look around more. So she searched through the upstairs rooms. Counting how many there were. Enough for a full family.

Lucie gazed into every room, seeing all the different set ups and colour schemes. Lucie decided it best if she came back downstairs, as she did Thomas and Polly emerged from a sitting room.

"Luce, we're leaving now. But Polly's going to stay and come back later." Thomas waited for Lucie to move to him, but Polly interjected.

"Actually Tom, Lucie can stay, I don't want to drive back alone."

"Very well." Thomas moved to place a small kiss on Lucie's lips and then left.

Polly and Lucie sat in the front room and drank tea. Thomas had stocked the home with some starting essentials.

"How was London?" Polly questioned.

"Lovely. I've missed Ada and Karl. It was nice seeing my parents too." Lucie smiled and finished her drink.

The continued to talk about Lucie's trip to London and what occurred in Small Heath whilst she was away.

***

As Polly was talking, Lucie felt a sharp stab like pain in her stomach. She felt it again. And again. Polly noticed Lucie's discomfort, and quickly moved beside her.

Lucie gripped onto Polly's forearm.

"What's wrong? Luce, what is it?" Polly asked alarmed.

"I don't know Pol— It—it just hurts." Lucie was on the verge of tears.

When she stood up, Polly noticed the blood on the settee. At that moment the world stopped. Polly realised what was happening.

"Right lets get to the bathroom, quickly." Polly held onto Lucie and walked her to the bathroom.

She told Lucie to sit in the bath whilst she got somethings for her. Upon her return, Polly brought a new skirt and towels.

"Polly what's happening?" Lucie looked down, "Polly why is there blood, Polly!" Lucie cried.

Polly knelt next to the bath and stroked Lucie's head. She waited with her until the pain passed. She didn't want to tell her. But she had to.

"You didn't know, did you?" Polly questioned softly.

"Did know wh— no. No. No it can't be. No!" Lucie cried. She had finally realised what had happened.

"It'll all be okay. I promise. Everyone is here for you." Polly whispered softly.

"I can't tell him Pol. Not yet. Too much is happening. I can't. Please Pol. I'll tell him, maybe after the Garrison opens. I'll find the time." Lucie sniffled.

"When the time is right, he'll know." Polly smiled.

"How, Pol? How did this happen?" Lucie looked to Polly with glassy eyes.

"When you feel up to it, we'll freshen you up and have a cup of tea. I'll read your leaves." Polly smiled and left Lucie to change.

Lucie changed her skirt and fixed her hair in the mirror. She had to be strong. For Tommy. For herself. For her little baby.

Lucie descended the stair to see Polly in a different room, two cups of tea for themselves.
The pair sat and drank their tea, trying their best to avoid the topic.

***

"Pol, I've finished." Lucie pushed her cup to Polly.

Polly looked into Lucie's cup and read the leaves in the cup. She knew how Lucie lost the baby.

"Stress." Polly answered, "You've been stressed. Stressed about Tommy, about Ada and Finn. Your parents too."

"My stress killed my child."

"You'll have another. I know you will. I feel it in my bones." Polly smiled and held Lucie's hands across the table.

Lucie felt a strange sense of emptiness as they drove back to Small Heath. She didn't know she had a little baby inside her. A little Thomas and Lucie. But not anymore. She wanted to seem strong. If the opposition found out, it's a weak point for Thomas that Lucie couldn't let him have.

Lucie promised herself to no longer stress about things that did not concern her. She promised her next child would see her, and grow up to be a film star or a singing like her mother. Blue eyes like her parents had. But as piercing as Thomas'. And raven hair, like her mother. She just felt like her next child would be a girl.

Half Lucie and half Tommy