xvi

CHAPTER SIXTEEN | life and death

Well that was one of the most eventful hours of Lucie's life. Ada had her baby amongst the shouts of the rowdy Shelby's. It felt like a blur to Lucie now, she sat with little Karl in her arms whilst Polly screamed at Thomas.

Freddie came back to see his baby, five minutes. That's all he got with his son. Five minutes of pure bliss before he was ripped away. She knew that's Thomas did not rat Freddie out. But no one believed him — no one but Lucie.

Staring down at the small, beautiful boy in Lucie's arms, she felt a rush of sadness flood her. This child didn't know what he'd just been born into. The loving family who kills. The uncles who love in different ways. Scary, mischievous and cold.

Yet she sat amidst the pain and anger, singing to the sleeping babe. Her words sounded like whispers compared to the shouts shaking the home. It never halted her, she rocked the child in her arms whilst his mother slept.

Karl Thorne. Here he was.

The shouting soon died down, seems as though Polly had, had enough. Lucie was almost asleep, the child in her arms had been silent for hours. Until there was a slam of the kitchen door. The child screamed, waking Lucie and alerting Polly and Tommy.

Thomas emerged from the kitchen first, Polly following behind. He could see the sleep hanging under Lucie's eyes, sleep she'd she narrowly missed out on.

"Shhh." Lucie cried to the small child as she rocked him back and forth.

"Give him here, you get some sleep now. You get out until you're ready to apologise and admit it." Polly pointed an accusing finger towards Thomas who was drained.

Lucie had passed the child to Polly and began collecting her belongings, it had been hours since the wedding, hours since the birth, hours since she slept.

Thomas had announced he would be meeting Arthur and John at the pub, leaving Lucie to walk home alone. Like always. She felt like Thomas had been avoiding her.

Yes he came close at the wedding, but thanks to Ada their reunion was cut short. But Polly had told her before. 'The war changed him, he used to love more than you, now he can't even say the word.'

However when Lucie lay in her bed that night, tired and emotionless, he was all she could think about. Questions swirled like smog in her head. Clouding her judgement. Blurring her vision. What can she do with love that isn't returned?

Lucie was awake and dressed. She'd taken the day off from the Garrison, for important reasons. She was leaving to tend to something, something that needed taking care of once a month. On the same date, of each month, twelve times a year.

Her brothers resting places.

She would dress in all black. Nothing too extreme, just simple. Sitting down in the grass with her four brothers to talk, comforted her in ways she couldn't explain. The same flowers were placed in the same spot of each grave, at different times. 10:34 am for William 10:36am for Daniel 10:40am for John and 11:00am for Matthew. Blue hydrangeas. Centre of the grave.

Lucie was sat on the soft grass, readying herself to speak to her passed brothers. Lucie wasn't a religious person, but when her brothers died she prayed and made a deal with her brothers who she hoped listened. 26th of each month. Look over your grave, and see me. 'Listen to my words, guide me if I need to be shown the way, support my decisions and watch me.'

"I miss you all, God knows I do. But I have a time of pathetic need, pathetic situation that I involved myself into. The Peaky Blinders, The Shelby's. You'll remember them, Thomas, John and Arthur. We have become quite close, I'm entangled in their web." Lucie stopped to laugh at her words.

"Ada and Polly enjoy my company and I theirs. Arthur looks at me like a sister, and he my earthly brother. No one could ever fill the hole in my heart that your deaths left me with. And John, Johnny Boy, your friend Will. He's married now, lovely girl, Esme Lee. And Thomas, well. I'm wrapped round his little finger, and he knows it. The man I pathetically love. My pathetic situation. Guidance through it, help me. I ask just an inkling of hope or sense."

Lucie stopped when she heard the snap of a stick behind her, she could feel a bone grinding presence. Standing slowly, she kept her back to them. Knowing exactly who was stood behind her.

"Can't you see I'm mourning, leave me in peace, Inspector." Lucie spat.

"Now why would I leave you to grieve if your grief lies with your love for Thomas Shelby." The Inspector retorted, he heard Lucie's words.

"Do not anger me over my brothers graves, where they lie because they died in a war you were to cowardly to fight in." Lucie gritted her teeth as she spoke.

"1915, do you remember? Lucille, do you remember?" Campbell chuckled.

"I remember your hands, that hands of a man on a child. Not like a father when he'd hug his daughter. No! But an ill man holding life like it's his last day. Harsh and desperate." Lucie just raised her voice, she was not letting him manipulate her.

"If that is all Inspector I will go my separate way, I pray you go yours." Lucie began to walk away, her blood sizzling.

"Grace tells me of Thomas, Thomas and the barmaid whom is ruined." Campbell shouted towards the girl. His accent thick, laced with joy, joy in his hideous actions.

"Thomas will learn of your ways Inspector, and you will meet the end you so rightfully deserve."

Lucie didn't know that Campbell would be meeting Thomas after their discussion, she didn't know he'd tell him of Lucie's love. She didn't know that the Inspector had watched the girl returned to her brothers graves for the past year.

He didn't know the information he recited to Thomas had already been told to him four times.

'She loves you Thomas, you are an idiot for letting her.'

Polly and her oh so wise words.

'Tommy, she tells me everything, it's what girls do. Two years, two years she's been in love with you. Now isn't the time to play games.'

Ada's words were sympathetic.

'Tom if you don't marry her I will, but I wouldn't marry a girl who was in love with another man.'

John's words the day before his surprise wedding.

'Tom. She sat in this pub for 3 hours waiting for you. She's never missed a family event, she's always checking on you. You're either fucking blind or fucking dumb if you can't see the way she looks at you.'

Arthur and his profanities.