xlv

CHAPTER FORTY FIVE | key

There was a Christmas party at the Garrison. Which was daunting. The last big event at the Garrison, Lucie told Tommy she'd lost their baby. It made her heart heavy to know she couldn't tell him the opposite this time.

However she still got up, getting herself ready after all she could enjoy this party with no fear. No secrets. After all it was Christmas.

Spending Christmas without her family felt odd. However Christmas had never been the same since the war. You can't change what happened. So Lucie and her parents carried on. Everyday, every week, every month and every year.

This Christmas would be spent with her second family. An exciting new experience for Lucie. The Garrison will be alive with people, it was going to be an amazing day.

Ada had agreed to come up with Karl for the day, however had only admitted it to Polly. Who then told Thomas, although he kept it from Lucie. One last surprise Christmas present.

Thomas had already left the home, telling Lucie he'd see her at the Garrison. Thomas has one last stop before he left to join the Garrison party.

"Polly, You ready? We haven't got long." Thomas' voice echoed through her large home.

"I'm coming!" Polly replied, sauntering down the stairs.

Thomas nodded his head before exiting the home, heading straight for his car. He watched Polly kiss Michael goodbye before locking the door behind her.

Polly hadn't a clue where Thomas was taking her, she imagined it was a job he needed accompaniment for. She wasn't quiet right.

"Tommy, where are you taking me? We need to be at the Garrison by five." Polly sighed, leaning back in the passenger seat.

"We're almost 'ere Pol." Tommy laughed.

Polly looked out of the window, watching the snow covered trees encase them. The straight gravel road below them crunched as Tommy drove closer to their destination.

When Polly ducked her head down, she could see a small home upon the horizon, peaking through a wall of trees. The house grew larger and larger in size. Once they eventually arrived, the house seemed to spread over acres and acres of land.

Thomas parked the car beside the water fountain in the middle of a gravel circle. Stepping out of the car, awaiting Polly beside him.

"Jesus fuck Tommy. Is this yours?" Polly gasped in awe at the house.

"I've got big things planned Pol. This'll be mine 'n hers." Tommy cracked a smile.

"She'll love it." Polly sighed.

"So." Tommy began clearing his throat, "Garden in the back, stables too, no one for miles. Maids and cooks, rooms and room. Want her to have everything I can give her." Thomas sighed, throwing the end of his cigarette onto the gravel beneath him.

Polly could see a change in Tommy's face when he said wanted Lucie to have everything he could give her. She knew the pain he was still feeling. She knew they wouldn't ever forget.

"You'll give it to her one day Tom. Just have fun tonight then. Spend Christmas with your girlfriend." Polly sighed, walking back towards the car.

"That's what I plan to do Pol." Tommy smiled, pulling his car door closed.

Whilst Polly and Thomas were viewing Arrow house, Lucie left to meet a past face. Someone who just couldn't leave her alone. Insistent letters and the feeling for being watched drove Lucie to finally crumble.

She stood ducked in an ally way beside the Garrison, a cigarette firm between her shaking lips. Lucie could hear the faint sound of metal on the ground. The clangs sounded like the bells of purgatory.

Her chest tightened, her hand could barley keep the cigarette from falling. The air was suffocating and heavy. The metal clicks became louder the closer the got. Until they were feet away from her.

"So, you've finally decided to listen." The Irish voice spoke, curling Lucie's insides.

"It's time you left me alone." Lucie sighed, dropping her cigarette at his feet.

"Now, Lucille, don't forget: we're old friends." His voice made her stomach drop.

"We are far from friends. Just leave me alone." Lucie spat, tears brimming her eyes.

"I'll be seeing you soon Lucille, don't you forget that." He left. Left her cold and frightened of the weeks to come.

It wasn't a new sensation, the fear of Chester Campbell looming in the distance. She'd lived with it most of her adult life. Now it had become heightened. Too afraid. Too afraid to let anyone know.

"Oh, Lucille. Your partner Thomas, he likes to keep secrets from you." Campbell took the pipe out of his mouth. "He's my little mole rat, I control him, so I control your whole family."

"Goodbye Campbell." Lucie coughed, throwing the rest of her cigarette on the floor.

She mustered all the courage she could and walked straight past the man. Never looking back, she tried.

"And fucking leave me alone, I never want to see your face again." Lucie shouted, speeding up her walk once she did.

Lucie head was on fire as she walked through the snow back to Thomas' flat. By passers looked at her with their heads hanging, fear settled in their eyes. Ever since she was officially associated with the peaky blinders, she became feared; much to her dismay.

Thomas wasn't home when Lucie arrived, it would've been a nice treat but she understood. However Campbell's words swirled in her mind. If he was really telling the truth, it would explain why Thomas had been so distant and short tempered that past months.

Nevertheless, Lucie still smiled and began to get ready, staring of with her makeup. Lucie kept her hair down, just as Thomas liked it. Polly always said it framed her face too.

Her dress was white, accented with gold embellishments. Tasseled lightly on the bottom hem. Lucie sparkled, not just her dress but her personality too. Her smile, the warmth she radiated. It was an unnatural phenomenon that people felt frightened of the sunny girl.