xxiv

CHAPTER TWENTY FOUR | shame

Lucie didn't feel like staying with Polly in the Garrison after what had happened, she had agreed once this was all over to visit Polly.

However, there was something Lucie had to do.

She hadn't told anyone yet, but Sargent Moss had cornered her after she'd left the Garrison one night. Only to deliver her a letter. The letter Polly now has in her possession, lest anything go wrong.

Lucie,

Come to the grave, you know which one, Our first meeting after these years wasn't a good one. I suspect you won't ignore my offer, we know where you live and Moss will come to find you if you refuse.

12:30pm the graves.

Lucie didn't bother changing her clothes, they were already dirty. She'd be gone as soon as she could anyways. The walk to the graveyard was dismal. She'd never realised how many people she'd never met before, families all living together in one small peeling home. Children running rings around their mothers.

In Manchester it was a small tight knit community, everyone knew everyone. You wouldn't be able to walk down a street without greeting at least five people. Small Heath was different, everyone kept to themselves.

Everyone knew Lucie, the girl who moved here alone, that barmaid in the Garrison, no not the blonde one. Not the irish girl. The one who's been here a year. The girl who runs about with Ada Shelby and has tea with Polly.

The girl who shot the IRA men that night.

Most people kept their distance from her as she walked past, that was until a little girl had her doll thrown into the cobbles, covering it in mud. It had been thrown with such force that the mud splashed onto the hem of Lucie's skirt.

The little girl had a tattered dress on, she didn't look more than four maybe five. The little girl didn't move to collect her doll that was by Lucie's feet. The boy who'd thrown it looked at Lucie in terror.

Lucie crouched down to retrieve the small muddy doll. She walked towards the young girl who seemed to be ever so frightened of her, the older boy had already run away once Lucie turned to them both.

"What's your name, sweetheart?" Lucie asked as she crouched down to her size.

The girl didn't answer, she just looked at Lucie in terror, exactly like a child would look at a Shelby.

"I won't hurt you, silly. Will you tell my your name?" Lucie smiled wary at the little girl, who returned a small one.

"Isabella Scott." The girl spoke in a high childlike voice. Scott?

Lucie was taken aback, surely it was just coincidence, her parents would never have had a child in secret, Lucie would've been there still. It's just a coincidence.

"Well Isabella, my name is Lucie Scott. I'm sorry about your doll sweetie. I have somewhere to be, but I'll tell you what." Lucie took the little girls hands and squeezed them.

"When I get back, I'll buy you a new doll? Where can I find you when I get back?" Lucie asked softly.

The little girl pulled on Lucie's hand and led her to the nicest home of the row, no peeling walls or muddy grass, the interior looked beautiful too, well looked after.

The little girl -Isabella- pointed it the house excitedly, running up and opening the door.

"Mummy! Mummy! Come here, come here!" Isabella shouted through the home.

A woman, not too tall, but not extremely small. Blonde hair tied into a low bun. Her dress was blue and had been re stitched many times. She came and lent against the door frame, waiting for Lucie to turn back around.

When Lucie turned around she couldn't believe her eyes.

"Auntie Ad? What are you doing here!" Lucie squealed and ran to hug her aunt.

"My, haven't you grown." The woman returned and she embraced her niece.

"Last I heard you were on a boat to New York. Now your here. In Small Heath." Lucie laughed.

"New York were too fancy for us, weren't it Bella?" Isabella hugged her mother's leg tightly.

"Look I have somewhere to be, matter of urgency. I'll come round tomorrow, we can have a catch up?" Lucie asked.

"Course, course. Come whenever. You're always welcome." Her Aunt laughed.

"Keep in your house today won't you? Kimber's on his way. Here for the Blinders." Lucie wanted to keep the pair safe.

"Shit. Really? God, I'm scared of that one." Adelaide laughed.

"I went to the races with him Auntie Ad, but that a story for another day. I'll see you later." Lucie embraced her Aunt once more.

"Bye, Bella. I'll see you tomorrow." Lucie crouched down to hug the young girl.

"I like you pretty lady." Bells giggled.

By the time Lucie had made it to the graves, he was already there. His back to Lucie. She took a deep breath before letting out a cough to capture his attention.

Campbell turned around, wearing his infamous sickening smirk, supporting his cigar which had ash tumbling onto the grave below.

"So, Moss did something right." Campbell began. His accent, the one that haunted Lucie for 3 years.

"Let's just get this over with. I have somewhere to be soon." Lucie spat, keeping her distance from Campbell.

Campbell walked closer to Lucie, now just an arms length away. Her breath quickened and her heart pounded.

"You're scared." Campbell laughed. Oh that's horrifying laugh.

"I have all reason to be. You are sick!" Lucie seethed. Her teeth gritted together, her breathing shallow. "You're a sick, sick old man who can't keep his hands off young girls. You are disgusting!"

This seemed to strike a nerve with Campbell. He strode towards Lucie, gripping her forearm tightly. He growled into her ear.

"I know what you did, and with who."

"Do you mean what you did, without consent, onto me. Or when you stared through my home window at me and Thomas. Wanting what you'll never have." Lucie shot back at Campbell, removing her arm from his grip where it was already reddening.

"You don't scare me anymore. I have Polly and Thomas and The Peaky Blinders protecting me. Shame on you. You dirty, disrespectful man. After all this what have you achieved?" Lucie laughed.

"Oh yes. Nothing! Absolutely nothing! What have I achieved? I moved past the pain. I got away, found a new life, new friends, new love. You? You stay the dirty, disgraceful Inspector. Too cowardice to even fight in the war. Bringing me here to shame me whilst you walk on the graves of my brothers. Shame" Lucie didn't want to stay any longer.

She just walked away. Something that was needed after these years. She left his ice grasp. And got away.