viii

CHAPTER EIGHT | scotch or irish?

Lucie was at work, once again. This time she was in for the morning until six with Grace. They had been calm with one another throughout their shift so far. Lucie was too tired and drained to try and argue with the woman. However, when Tommy walked in Lucie watched Grace's ears practically stand on end.

Tommy walked over to the hatch and knocked on the surface, waiting for one of the barmaid to get to him. Grace got there first, but Lucie - as petty as it seemed - made sure to serve the men right next to the hatch where Tommy and Grace stood.

"Bottle of whiskey and, three glasses - please." Is that Tommy Shelby asking nicely?

"Scott or Irish." Lucie heard Grace say. Scott or Irish. Lucie or Grace.

"Irish." Tommy replied hastily.

"You've got to be shitting me." Lucie muttered.

"I've decided not to go, to the races." Lucie couldn't help the smile that plastered onto her face when the words fell from Grace's mouth.

"Not unless you give me another two pound ten shilling, towards the dress." Grace bargained.

"Fuck this." Lucie spoke, a little too loudly, as she threw her cloth onto the counter and walked to the back exit for a cigarette to take her mind off things.

Lucie let her lit cigarette hang from her lips as she attempted to unknot her apron that was tied around her. However, she had no luck.

"Stupid. Fucking. Thing." Lucie let out a scream at the end of her sentence, which caused those near by to stare at her.

Lucie was getting too upset to just be stressed over the inability to untie her apron. She kicked the wall and then lent against it, letting a few tear fall from her face.

"God, Luce, you're fucking pathetic, you know." Lucie spoke to herself. She'd known Tommy four months. Slept in a bed with him and sang him to sleep. Now she's crying over him.

"Everything alright, Luce?" A voice spoke from in front of her, Lucie opened her eyes to see Ada standing in front of her looking worried.

"Yeah, Yeah. All good Ads, all fan-fucking-tastic." Sarcasm dripped from Lucie's words.

"Right, what's happened then?"

"Kimber wants to take me to the races." Lucie replied, her voice cracking from the previous screaming.

"You can't go Lucie, Tommy will be furious, if you want to go to Cheltenham, let Tommy take you." Ada moved to wipe away some of Lucie's tears.

"He's taking Grace, made me ask her and everything."

"I'll kill my brother. Luce. What an arse!" Ada laughed.

"No use, Grace is pretty, and a nice girl, nice rich family. What more could you want, eh? You wouldn't go from that to a poor barmaid who doesn't see her family because she can barley afford food." Lucie just laughed.

"Look, Luce I've got to leave but I'll speak to him for you, yeah?" Ada hugged Lucie before walking off down Garrison Lane.