x

CHAPTER TEN | just like old times

Lucie had woken up and gone about her day feeling a warm, fuzzy sensation in her stomach. Waking up with Tommy's arm wrapped around her made her heart skip a beat. She loved the rare moments of affection that Tommy would show.

Although now she sat in front of the small fire she'd lit in her home, which she'd neglected for the past few days. The fire crackled and spluttered as it was reaching its final fiery breaths. Sitting by the fire comforted her, she had not done it in a long while, due to her consistent shifts at the pub. Today was her first full day off. So she'd dedicated the day to reading 'Romeo and Juliet'.

"My bounty is as endless as the sea, my love as deep; the more I give to thee the more I have, for both are infinite."

All Lucie could think of was Tommy.

It had been half a year since she'd first met Thomas Shelby. Half a year since she began to fall, hard.

Lucie was only 22 but she was filled with naivety. Lucie didn't do boyfriends back in her home town. She didn't do 'boyfriends' in Small Heath either. Sure she'd felt attraction towards boys before, kissed a few. But nothing ever long term or serious.

Tommy made her feel different. Maybe it was that he was older? Or a gangster? Maybe it was the shit fumes that surrounded Small Heath getting to Lucie's head.

Polly knew the girl loved her nephew, she could see it in her eyes. Deep down somewhere she knew Tommy loved her too. He just wouldn't show it.

It was Lucie's twenty third birthday in the next week. She wasn't all too excited, her birthday would be a normal one.

She'd clean her house a few days before hand, maybe have Polly and Ada round, have a little whiskey and then go to sleep. Nothing exciting. Although Lucie found cleaning her house somewhat calming. But her house was never messy or dirty, in fact it was clean and organised, not big at all, but decorated cozily. That was all that mattered.

Cleaning weirdly reminded her of her mother and father. Her parents were, odd to others. But nevertheless she loved and missed them. Her parents were always smart before their time, they didn't act like other parents. They didn't frown upon babies being born out of wedlock or same sex relationships.

Lucie was becoming bored of being alone in her home, so she decided to nip to The Garrison to see if Harry needed any help today. If not, she planned to use some money she'd put aside to buy a new dress, Lucie was getting tired of wearing the same old blue dress. Plain boring blue dress.

Lucie was walking slowly through a derelict section of the blinders territory. She wanted to walk the long way to The Garrison since it wasn't raining. It wasn't long before a young girl in a white dress came bashing into Lucie.

"Be more careful for —." Lucie stopped to look at the girl. "Ada?"

Lucie was a loss for words. Ada Shelby. In a wedding dress? Before Lucie knew, Ada had engulfed her into a tight embrace.

"What the fucks going on, Ada Shelby?"

"I'll be Ada Thorne in a half hour."