vii

CHAPTER SEVEN | whiskey

When Lucie woke that morning Tommy was gone, but she didn't mind. Last night was a strange occurrence, but she didn't mind.

Lucie opened up that morning and left Harry to serve the odd person that came in.

"See you at eight, Harry." Lucie shouted as she began to leave the pub.

"Come at 'af past Luce, no Grace tonight."

"See you at half past then, Harry."

Lucie sent off for Polly's house, since she had nothing to do for the day, she decided to offer to take all the kids for a picnic on the grass near the river.

Lucie was walking through the shit and mud covered streets when she saw Ada walking hand in hand with a man, coming up the way.

She'd never see the man before, but could tell who he was straight away. Ada's secret boyfriend. The man who tried to save little Matthew. Freddie Thorne.

"Lucie, Lucie! Come look!" Ada had let go of Freddie, running towards Lucie.

"I'm getting married, Luce. Fucking married!" Ada wrapped her arms around Lucie and squeezed her tightly.

"Well then Ada, who's the lucky man?" Lucie knew full well who he was. By now Freddie was stood next to Ada.

"Freddie Thorne. Nice to meet 'ya." Freddie outstretched his hand to shake Lucie's, although she pulled him into a hug instead.

"Sorry, I don't know what came over me, I'm Lucie."

"No worries, where you from?"

"Manchester way, moved here after the war."

"That war, ruined life for everyone." Ada clutched Freddie's arm in a caring way.

"Especially, Luce here." Ada added. This was Lucie's chance to thank Freddie, for his aid in Matthews chance of survival.

"You lose someone in the war?"

"Five brothers, all died. William, Daniel, James, Johnny and Matthew Scott." Lucie could feel the sadness bubbling inside of her.

"You say Matthew and Johnny Scott. I tunnelled with Johnny. I tried to save Matthew Lucie. It just wasn't possible." Freddie moved from Ada's grip and hugged the girl.

"Thank you for trying, really, means loads to me." Lucie gave Freddie a small smile, and sent them on their way.

Lucie finally arrived at Polly's house, drying a few tears that had escaped before she knocked and entered.

"Polly? It's Lucie, you in?"

The young Shelby brother came bounding over to Lucie, chanting her name and jumping up and down.

"Where's you Aunt Pol then, Finn?" Lucie question the boy who now rested on her hip.

"She's right here." Polly had emerged from the betting shop into her house. "What you doing here then?"