xlvi

CHAPTER FORTY SIX | a christmas party

The Garrison was alive with people. Everyone had got wind of the party for Christmas. The whole Shelby clan had arrived, even Ada and Karl. Lucie was the last to appear.

"Tom, where's Luce?" Ada questioned, bouncing Karl on her leg.

"She'll be here. Soon enough." Thomas sighed, as of on cue, Lucie walked through the door.

Snow settled in her hair and on her eyelashes, her dress glimmered in the light of the Garrison. Her smile lit up the room. Ada passed Karl to Thomas and ran towards Lucie, engulfing her into a hug.

"Oh I've missed you!" Ada smiled.

"Why didn't you tell me you were coming?" Lucie laughed gleefully.

"Surprise!" Ada beamed.

Lucie walked towards the bar where Esme and John sat, arguing about the children. Lucie just shook her head and grabbed John by the shoulders.

"Right then, no kid talk whilst we're here." Lucie spoke softly.

"Sorry Luce Love." John sighed, "Anyways, Tom's looking for you."

"Oh. Find me later Esme." Lucie beamed, walking out of sight.

Lucie wandered around aimlessly, desperately looking for Thomas; who was nowhere to be seen. Eventually Polly pointed the girl towards a table in the corner of the room.

Thomas was sat throwing Karl in the air and catching him, his smile was bright when he looked up at the boy, who was giggling loudly. Lucie smiled softly and walked over to Thomas.

She sat beside him, pecking him on the lips softly. Which was followed by a stuck out tongue from Karl.

"Oh really Mister?" Lucie laughed taking the boy from Tommy.

"Have you been good for Uncle Tommy?" Lucie smiled, tickling the small boy causing him to laugh and wriggle. Karl nodded his head vigorously.

Ada waltz over to the pair and picked up Karl, telling Lucie and Thomas they deserved some time together.

"Merry Christmas." Lucie sighed, leaning her head onto Thomas' shoulder.

"I saw you speaking with Campbell today." Thomas coughed, blowing smoke from his parted lips.

"He asked me to meet him, I listened and left." Lucie stuttered, shivers running down her spine.

"Don't speak to him again, not unless I know about it."

"Don't ruin my Christmas Mr Shelby. I won't be happy." Lucie sighed, sitting up right on her chair.

"Not even Thomas? I really have offended you." Thomas laughed, swinging his arm around Lucie who was trying her best to keep a stern face.

"Come on Luce, don't be like this." Thomas sighed, pulling his chair closer to hers.

Thomas could tell Lucie was attempting to stay mad at him. Although it was proving harder than she had imagined. Thomas smirked and stood from his chair, walking around the small table to stand in front of Lucie.

She turned her head to avoid eye contact. Thomas raised his hand and brushed his finger along her jawline, pushing her head to face his.

"Give me three tries if you're still mad at me, I'll walk away." Thomas spoke in a low voice, that in itself almost cracked Lucie.

"One." Thomas whispered, walking behind Lucie. Thomas places a light kiss under her jaw, smiling when he saw her shiver.

"Two." Thomas repeated his actions on the opposite side. Tracing his finger up Lucie spine lightly, causing her to move from his touch.

"Fine you arsehole. I'm not mad." Lucie spat.

"Look I just don't want you getting hurt Luce." Thomas sighed, pulling her up from the chair.

"I don't want you to get hurt! You still run around with danger in hand." Lucie sighed.

"Luce, I'll be fine Love." Thomas sighed, placing his hands on either side of Lucie's face, stroking her cheeks softly.

Lucie smiled, moving to press a small kiss onto Thomas' cheek. Pulling the cigarette from his lips and bringing it to hers.

"I bought you a cigarette tin." Thomas laughed.

"I like yours better" Lucie laughed.

The rest of Christmas was spent with everyone drinking and dancing the night away. Everyone had enjoyed their night. Until Lizzie had consumed one too many gins.

"Lucie!" Lizzie shouted, catching Lucie's attention. Lizzie stormed towards Lucie, confusing her as to why.

"It's all your fucking fault! All your fault!" Lizzie started catching people's attention.

"Lizzie calm down." Lucie whispered.

"Don't tell me to calm down you whore." Lizzie spat.

Soon her hand came in contact with Lucie's face, then Lucie's body came in contact with the floor. Everyone rushed over to the pair, Arthur had restrained Lizzie and took her away.

Thomas helped Lucie up off the floor, inspecting her cheek when he had. The red mark began to appear, a hand shaped tattoo seared onto her face.

"You alright Luce?" Tommy questioned.

"I think I'm going to head back." Lucie smiled, causing her to wince at the movement of her cheek.

"Right come on then Love."

Thomas wrapped his arm around Lucie's waist and began to walk towards the door. The pair waved goodbye to the Shelby's and braved the snowy conditions of Small Heath.

"Grace is in London." Thomas states sharply.

"I have no business with her. I wish not to see her." Lucie laughed.

"I'd never make you."