xxv

CHAPTER TWENTY FIVE | the barmaid

As Lucie wandered back to Garrison Lane she could see hazed figures stood on the horizon. She couldn't tell who they were, whether it was carriages facing one another or thick smog enveloping the streets.

When she carried on she could hear voices, quiet shouts that swam to her ears. Once the smog cleared and Lucie wandered near to the voices she knew what she had walked straight into. Kimber was here. Tommy was stood opposite with the Peaky Blinders behind him.

Lucie tucked herself away in a doorway, with full view of the brawl about to play out. Tommy had instructed Polly to keep the girl indoors, however they both knew she wouldn't listen.

The cold air nipped at the girls fair skin, only her stained clothing around her body.  She was hidden behind Kimber's men, but she knew sooner or later a blinder would spot her and inform Thomas.

Although the one man who spotted her, never uttered a word to Thomas. He simply winked at her and held his finger to his lips. John. John knew that Lucie would want to watch their win against Kimber. So he swore her position to secrecy. Well that lasted 30 seconds before he poked Arthur's side and pointed towards the doorway Lucie head poked out of. She was met by a smile and a comedic small wave. Her only problem? One of Kimber's men had recognised her, and now Kimber knew she was there too.

Everything fell silent, Lucie could hear everyone's words almost perfectly, and Kimber shook her bones.

"It doesn't have to be like this Kimber." Tommy shouted, only to receive a scoff from Kimber.

"Too late for that." Kimber began, "You bit off more than you can chew you little toe rag and now I'm gonna take over this shithole. And I'll be doing that right after I take your little barmaid." Kimber's sickening laugh rings through the air running straight to Lucie.

She tried to open the door next to her but in never budged, she was too frightened to run away, they'd be able to hear a pin drop. Instead she pushed herself against the wall and covered her mouth.

She knew John and Arthur had seen her, she just waited and hoped they'd help her, however it wasn't the Shelby brothers who saved her. It was the Shelby sister.

Ada came sauntering past Lucie adorned in black, along with a small Karl in a black pram, Lucie turned her head to watch Ada walk straight into the middle of the fight. God this girl, balls bigger that Arthur's.

"I believe you boys call this no-mans land." Ada shouted, causing each man on both side to look utterly stunned at the woman in front of them.

"Ada!" Freddie shouted to the mother of his child, however it was like she didn't even recognise him.

"Shut up and listen." She shouted once more.

"Have you lost your mind?" Freddie shouted once more.

"She said shut up!" Lucie's shouted, catching everyone's attention. Thomas looked at her with a mix of shocked and anger, John and Arthur smiled at the girl and Kimber look at her like she was water and he was dying of thirst.

"Oh, so the barmaid appears." Kimber begins taking a step forward.

"I've got a name you know, I ain't just a barmaid." Lucie turned on her heels to face Kimber, the small dagger that was strapped onto her thigh now in her hand. John and Arthur still smirking as the watched the sweet innocent girl they'd met those years back become a ruthless, strong woman.