xxxvi

CHAPTER THIRTY SIX | I'll be here when you wake up

Lucie could feel the walls coming closer to her, she needed to be strong. It was time he knew.
She could see Thomas coming over to her, somewhat slowly. Lucie steadied her breathing and walked to meet him in the middle.

Lucie thought he would say something along the lines of 'how could you?' but he didn't. Instead he just held her hand and walked her to the back room. No one was in there.

Tommy locked the door and walked to Lucie who stood herself in the middle of the room. Thomas walked to her and just held her.

He didn't shout, or get angry. He just held her close and let her cry. He had one arm wrapped round her waist and the other stroking the back of her head.

"God, Tommy, I'm so sorry, I'm so sorry. I'm so sorry." Lucie cried, Tommy's chest muffled the words.

"Shh. Shh. Don't apologise. We can talk about this in the morning." Tommy kept Lucie close to him. Not wanting to let her go.

"Luce." Tommy started, he loosened his grip on Lucie and tilted her head up to look at him. Her eyes tearful and puffed.

"Would you like to leave now? We can just go home, spend the night alone. I'll make you some tea and take care of you. Like I wished I could've when it happened." Tommy lent down and placed a kiss on Lucie's lips.

"No, it's okay. Tonight I wanted to enjoy myself. I want you to enjoy yourself, we can leave once Ada arrives." Lucie smiled.

"I lo-I'm sorry this happened Luce." Thomas sighed.

"It's the path that is planned for me. No matter what bumps may lay before me. I will reach my destination." Lucie smiled.

"Well i ngrá, lets get back out there shall we. If you ever want to leave. Just find me alright." Tommy smiled.

"I will. You must tell me what that means." Lucie questioned.

"It's just sweetheart in irish." Thomas chuckled.

"Well then I must copy you dathúil" Lucie giggled.

"Well, you know Irish as well." Thomas asked, as the pair began to walk back into the buzz of people.

"bhí, mhúin mo mháthair dom."

"Ahh well, tá tú díreach lán de iontas nach tusa." Thomas laughed, leaving Lucie to mingle.

Polly spotted Lucie across the room and when straight to her.

"What happened, you've been gone a while? I'm so sorry." Polly gushed.

"It's okay, weirdly. He just held me whilst I cried and told me he wanted to take care of me." Lucie smiled.

"So he should." Polly giggled.

Lucie smiled and looked towards the door to see Ada holding Karl. Lucie squealed and ran over to her.

"Ada! You're here." Lucie giggled pulling her into a hug.