xxxix

CHAPTER THIRTY NINE | i haven't

Lucie woke to a repeated pounding on her front door. She stayed in her small bed, hoping they would go away, but the didn't.

Lucie muttered a string of curses as she pulled on her green dress that hung on the end of her bed. Pulling her hair into a make shift bun.

The door was still being beaten, more rapid now however. Lucie pulled on her small heels and jogged down to the door.

"Thomas?" Lucie questioned his presence, "I though you were in London."

"Back now, Love. Hurry up." Thomas spoke, taking a drag for his cigarette.

Lucie rolled her eyes and left her home, locking the small green door behind her. Thomas Shelby and his obsession with speed.

"Thomas, where are we going." Lucie pressed, jumping in to the passenger seat.

"Family meeting." He replied in a monotone voice, clipping his words and returning to silence.

"No how are you doing? No it's nice to see you again? Wow you really know how to make a girl  blush." Lucie sighed and rolled her eyes.

"We can do all that after, business first." He replied, driving round the corner.

"Business first. Do you remember? The day Kimber died, what you said?" Lucie questioned.

Thomas never replied, he just got out of the car and walked into the betting shop. Lucie gave up. She couldn't be bothered with an argument. Reluctantly, Lucie left the car and walked into the den.

The doors were already closed and Michael was sat in the kitchen looking through the door. Lucie took advantage of the situation and crept up behind him.

"Michael!" Lucie shouted, gripping Michael's shoulders.

"Shit! Luce." He laughed, "Scared the fuck out of me."

"What's happening in there that interests you so much then, eh?" Lucie questioned.

"Horse auction. That's where they're going tomorrow." Michael replied, watching through the crack in the door.

"Oh, right well. I'm sure. And he's gone." Lucie looked to see the door wide open and Michael already in the meeting.

Lucie followed hot on his tail, standing behind him. Arthur smiled at her and looked back to Thomas who was speaking.

"I wanna go with them." Michael began.

"You see!" Polly shouted towards Thomas.

"I love horses, I could even help." Michael persuaded.

Lucie stood back and watched everything unfold, not wanting to speak and risk Polly's wrath.

"No. Fucking no." Polly snapped.

Michael turned and walked out of the room slowly. Pushing a pile of papers off the desk as he passed. Lucie decided to move forward and speak up.