xlii

CHAPTER FORTY TWO | it's a good job

Once they had finally arrived at the auction Lucie was tired and knew she would grow bored. It smelt like an unused farm. Thomas was lent over the banister, watching the horse come into view.

Lucie stood by Michael, whispering and catching up. Everyone else was too engrossed in watching the horse, however Michael pointed out the woman across from her. Posh. You could tell for her sour face.

"Luce, there's a woman across." Lucie immediately looking towards the woman however Michael pulled her straight back.

"Don't look now. She's staring straight at Tommy." Michael informed.

Lucie turned to look at the woman, burning holes in Thomas with her gaze. She was beautiful, and no doubt Thomas was looking straight back at her.

"Sold! To Mr?"

"Thomas Shelby."

She winked at him. The posh woman winked at Lucie's boyfriend. She hadn't felt jealousy since Grace left. Now she was feeling again.

Everyone waited in a doorway whilst Thomas registered the purchase. Arthur and John cracking jokes once more. Lucie turned her head and spotted the woman once more, waiting. Lent against a wooden beam.

Thomas walked out of the small room to be greeted by her. Lucie immediately stopped joining in on the conversation, which was noticed by Arthur first.

"Luce? Did you here me?" Arthur questioned.

"Look." Lucie pointed towards Thomas and the lady.

"Don't worry Lucie, alright, ready?" Arthur laughed, confusing Lucie.

"Tommy, come on hurry up we got to go!" Arthur shouted, whilst John snickered.

"Tommy we've got to get this kid back before dark." John shouted too, "Or Polly will have your balls."

"She will have 'em, and we need those for little Shelby's running 'round." Arthur laughed, pointing at Lucie who turned away, but decided to turn straight back around and smile.

"Tommy!" Arthur bellowed, "We've got to get back to the caravans, the chickens... are hungry." Everyone one erupted with laughter.

Thomas began to walk back to everyone else, Lucie turned away and joined arms with Michael. Not particularly wanting to speak with Thomas, she felt like she was being petty. However she wasn't bothered.