ix

CHAPTER NINE | goodnight love

Lucie was walking through the streets of Birmingham once more. She only had her usual boring blue dress on. She didn't mind. Well she thought she didn't.

Lucie took a back alley to shortcut her way to Polly's house, she'd decided to go spend some time with her and Finn.

Two men were further up the alley way, just standing, cigarette a blaze. Coming towards her. She swiftly turned around , wanting to avoid them at all costs.

"Where'd ya' think she's off then?" The accent was one Lucie hadn't heard before, it's wasn't Brummie, nor anyone she knew.

"Probably taking a long walk to loose a few. Love! When's the baby due, eh?" The other man retorted, earning a laugh.

Lucie has always been self conscious of her weight. She wasn't the typical physique of the women at the time, but she had never minded, until now.

"Nah an ugly 'en like her, no one would go near her, she ain't up the duff. Just fat." Lucie just walked out of the alley way and back onto the streets of Small Heath.

Tears were falling from her eyes. Those words were ones she'd heard many a time before. Didn't mean the hurt any less however.

The village shed formerly lived in were not welcoming of little girls who weren't thinner than a needle. Which made school hard for Lucie. Those words fat, ugly all words she'd heard before.

(I want to point out I am not shaming skinny girls in anyway! You are beautiful no matter your weight skin colour hair colour etc!)

Lucie didn't want Polly to see she'd been crying, so she wiped away the tears that wet her face. However her eyes were puffed and her cheeks all red. She just hoped Polly didn't notice.

"Polly, it's Lucie you around?" Lucie shouted through the seemingly empty house.

"Kitchen love." Lucie walked towards the kitchen to see Polly making two cups of tea. She had probably anticipated Lucie's arrival.

"Sit girl. I'll be there in a second." Lucie willingly obliged, sitting at the table waiting for Polly, who sat down with two hot cups of tea seconds later.

"Who's said something to you, Luce?" Polly asked coolly, lighting a cigarette.

"How'd you know?" Lucie questioned.

"Red cheeks, puffed eyes. Come on, Love, what's happened?"

"Was going to take the short cut alley here, you know down, Spinning Lane. Where two men. Irish I think, started saying things to me." Lucie didn't feel like telling Polly she'd cried over something so stupid.

"So, what'd they say?" Polly questioned, finally looking towards Lucie.

"Well, God Pol it's so stupid. One of 'em asked 'When's it due' but the other just shouted 'seen her face no one would go near her, she ain't up the duff. Just fat.'."

"Oh I'm sorry, Luce. Here drink your tea."

Lucie and Polly made idle chatter for an hour or so until Thomas arrived, holding a rather large white zip bag.