The Date (ARCase & Ruechari)

The Date

They traveled on horseback, the Big Top came into view

They traveled on horseback, the Big Top came into view. Towards it, Jacob led Rue.

The Acrobats were in the main ring. Practicing their trapeze routine.

Jacob pointed up high into the air. "That gal is Nan swinging there. That strong fella is her brother Dwight. Watch him catch her his timing must be just right."

He looked at Rue and gave her a wink, "You should try it I think."

Rue frowned. "Up there? You must be out of your head. Jacob I'll fall and end up dead."

He pointed down below. "Have no fear Rue, the net will catch you."

Rue eyed the trapeze. Her heart began to pound, so loud she feared Jacob could hear the sound.

Jacob drew closer. "I'll come with you. Trust me. I'll show you how, Rue."

Rue was still unsure. It was a long way to the ground. A long way up meant a long fall down.

Jacob gave her a smile and reached out his hand. Rue said, "If I die, I am coming back to haunt you, just so you understand."

Her hands shook a little as she placed it in his. "Rue, I promise you won't regret this."

Jacob led her to the ladder. Climbed behind her to the top. Rue looked down but did not stop. "Just a bit further, Rue. You're doing great! The view from the top is really first rate."

Rue was afraid, but forced herself to go on to the platform, which she now stood upon.

The woman gave her a smile. "I'm Nan, it's nice to meet you."

Rue smiled back. "I'm Rue. This really is a lovely view."

"I told you so," said Jacob with a smug smile. "I have not done this in a while."

"Why Jacob are you afraid?" teased Rue.

"Of course not pretty lady. I'll show you." Nan handed Jacob the bar. He glanced at Rue. "Now I don't expect you to be able to do what I do."

Nan rolled her eyes. "It took Jacob quite a while. His first time he cried like a child."

Rue giggled. Jacob looked at Nan. "That's because I was a child. However, now I'm a man."

His eyes went back to her, "On your turn swing on out, Rue and I will be sure to catch you."

Jacob pushed off and across he did fly, built up momentum to give his trick a try.

Dwight hung down, ready to catch his hands. Jacob's flip was nice but not properly planned. Jacob fell. Rue gasped and looked down. Jacob bounced and laughed landing on the net near the ground.

"I warned you, Miss Rue. It has been quite a while." Jacob hollered up wearing a smile.

"Your turn, Rue."