A Little About You... A Little About Me - (ARCase and Ruechari)

A Little About You... A Little About Me – ARCase and Ruechari

Jacob knew he had to start but wasn't sure he could risk to bear his heart.

Rue joined him once more on the ground waiting for him to give her a reason to stick around.

He no longer looked so sure and carefree. He seemed to struggle with the words. Rue knew the feeling and took pity.

Another gulp of wine, he looked at Rue, "Okay, here it goes. I'll tell you. I'm the fourth of eight children, from Tennessee, well at least originally.

Ma and Pa decided to join a wagon party headed west. It really put us to the test. We had a good run. Made it clear to Montana territory before cholera struck the wagon party.

Poor baby Nell was the first to be laid low. Ma was the next of us to go. Pa lasted a bit longer on his deathbed, "Keep the family together," he said.

Many of our wagon party died. Cholera hit us hard indeed. No one could take on more mouths to feed. The Craven siblings were escorted to the next city. My sister Polly was offered a job out of pity.

The rest of us soon found that for an orphan train, we were bound. We wanted to stay together. So we tried to run away. The orphan train was leaving the very next day.

My brothers and sister and I came up with a plan. Gathered supplies and I took Josie's hand. She was so small, not more than two. We did what we had to do.

At nightfall, we tried to make our getaway. But the Sheriff and deputy spotted us sneaking away. He grabbed my brothers Tom and Will. He told me to be still.

The deputy had nabbed my sisters too. I really did not know what to do. "Run Jacob and get away. Take care of Josie!" is the last words I heard Tom say.

So I picked Josie up. I ran, holding her close. Stole a horse from its post. The rest is history I guess you could say. Josie and I were a couple of strays.

From town to town we did what we had to live. I'm not proud of some of the things I did. Just outside of Omaha, I crept into the city of tents. While the circus folks slept completely spent.

I had left Josie in an old barn nearby, with hunger pains she cried. I was caught stealing by Tiny Tim. I feared I was bound for the noose for my sin.

But the circus people took pity on me. I told them my story and led them to Josie. They put food in our bellies. Taught us their ways. It's been ten years since that day.

A decade is a long time and it may be silly of me, but every show I hope to see the face of my lost family.

Listen to me carrying on. Forgive me, Rue. I did not mean to lay all this on you. A few years back Josie and I did get to see, our sister Poly before she moved overseas.

We send her letters, though we get no reply. That's the price of this nomadic life.

Sorry again. Really I am, Rue. Well enough about me, let's talk about you."

Ruechari changed her mind

Ruechari changed her mind. To a glass of that pro offered wine. Wondering how much she could say, without giving too much away.

She took a sip and then a gulp but it really didn't help. Rue, he was straight with you so good or bad you need to be straight with him too.

"In your travels ever hear of the Shaman of the West?"

Jacob grinned. "The fairytale, the legend, who's suppose to keep the balance between good and evil, and all the rest."

She knew it sounded as unreal as it seemed, a woman who raises those who wish to be redeemed.

"Well, the story is part of my Nomadic Tribe. The Kitana Kitari the Kit-Kats" Rue said with pride. "Every tale is supposed to have some truth. It was a story I learned in my youth."

"Little did I know I was being raised, as she. The Shaman of the West, that's me."

"You?" Jacob laughed. "You're funny Rue." But then to his surprise, he'd seen the pain in her eyes and wondered could it be true.

"To protect me, my grandfather, my grandmother, my mother and father and many of my tribe had died."

"I was nearly lost to hell itself, now somehow, I'm supposed to try and live a normal life. Settle down, become someone's wife, to pass on the mantle onto my child." Her pain just seemed to compile.

"I lost those I've loved in just a short few years. Never having time to shed a tear. I just sometimes wish I could have them near, but they are never to return I fear.

So I've tried to make a home out of BG, making my friends my new family. Still, some days it's hard to be still. The emptiness the void in my life is hard to fill."

Jacob knew she held herself together by sheer will. He knew that feeling to be displaced for him and his sister were displaced still.

"Well, I hope you'll count me among those friends." He stuck out his hand, "Can we begin again?"

Rue gave him a gentle smile. "Sure," she shook his hand but he held on for a while.

"This would be a lot easier if you were weren't some I wished to kiss."

Rue laughed. "Well, how about this." She pulled him over to kiss his cheek but he turned his head the little sneak, landing her kiss on his lips.

She pushed him away. "You know one day you'll learn how much more you can feel when a woman kisses you for real, a kiss you didn't have to steal!"

"Rue, I really haven't the time. Maybe it's a crime but I rather steal a kiss when I can, than be left forever wonderin'. I think we can agree I'm not the man for you and you're not the woman for me. But we have this one moment, now. We've ended up together somehow so why fight destiny? What more, can people like you and I ask for?"

Rue thought of Ronan and one thought sprung to mind. "Love, though it may be something neither of us ever find."

With that one word, Jacob lost his nerve. "You ask me for the one thing I can't give, but should find this existence you've chosen suffocating and choose to live. You know where to find me, but for now I'll take you home, Ruechari."