The Show Must Move On (ARCase)

It had been a few days since Jacob and Josie's life had changed. One sister lost, another one gained. But tomorrow the circus would move away and Jacob would have to tell them he and Josie would stay.

For ten years they'd taken him and Josie in. Become like a family to them. Trained them in the circus way. Gave them a craft that would pay.

Put food in their bellies, a place to sleep. Josie girl hadn't said a peep. This was a secret she would keep. Until Jacob broke the news to those in the show. It would be hard to watch them all go.

He had given them excuses for staying at the hotel in BG. Said he wanted to celebrate his Birthday with a lucky lady and Josie wanted to stay in a fancy room with a heated bath. But questions weren't something his circus family often asked.

Not to mention he had still made it to his nightly shows, tonight would be his final performance as they would all soon know. Now was the time to come clean and confess. But at goodbyes, Jacob wasn't the best.

Too many had already been said during his twenty-three years. The show moving on without him filled him with fear. How would he provide for Josie here?

Josie had decided to stay at the hotel. She said she was not feeling well. But Jacob knew she was upset. Wasn't ready to say goodbye just yet to the only life she'd known.

Her only home, too young to recall, her short life on the farm before this all. Perhaps that was for the best. Let Jacob tell them, let Josie rest.

Tonight Josie would surely cry. As the circus packed up and she said goodbye. With a heavy heart, Jacob rode towards the tents. The day was young, though he already felt spent.

He could smell the bacon frying from a mile away. Hear the animals and folks beginning their day. A roar from the cats getting their meat. A giggle of a child so sweet.

A hammer striking iron and a woman's song. Sounds of his life for ten years long. The smell of hay and laundry blowing in the wind. Folks making their way for breakfast to begin.

He slipped off his horse and breathed in deep. Saw a small head, from under the tent peep. One of Ferdinand's daughters, little Sophie. Grinning up at him mischievously.

 Grinning up at him mischievously