|[19]|

Dinner was quite uneventful, as were the days after. There was done excessive cleaning, requested by the short stack himself, for no apparent reason. Luckily I had been able to slip out of that before he could threaten me to join him.

I don't have anything against cleaning, but I do have a lot against rubbing the same spot over and over again even though it's been clean after the first swipe. I'm not afraid of bacteria like they're the new and improved titans or something.

This calming life had a rhythm to it, something I didn't mind after all this time. I had excessive amounts of time to sharpen my blades and to train. These moments should've been stacked with paperwork but I think browtastic learned his lesson since yesterday.

He had ordered a cadet to bring an excessive amount of paperwork into my office. That stack might as well have been as large as the kid! So I thought to bring the man behind it all a visit myself. I had taken the papers with me (and honestly I think lifting paperwork might be more useful than lifting weights during training) and thrown them at the male. Who sat eerily calm at his desk like I hadn't just thrown a complete tree of paper in his face.

I might've gotten a bit... frustrated. And thrown a small blade at the wooden door leading to his private room, a paper got stuck in the process and I believe this will withhold his paperwork army coming my way.

Why use blades against the titans? Show them the amount of paperwork we do and the bitches will get so scared they will run away.

I mean, just think about it, we cut up trees so fine we make paper out of it, and with this amount of paper, it might as well have been a complete forest once, we must be very skilled with blades.

If some ass had thrown this shit my way back in our own time I would've ran away screaming if I'm honest. Rather die on a battlefield than buried underneath a stack of papers.

Currently I am going through my backpack, re-organizing some departments, some overall cleaning of the thing and some things will be added and others left out.

I looked up as I heard a double knock on my door. I yelled for whoever it was to come in, expecting a short stack or browstash but being greeted by Demian. He brushed some messy brown strands of hair out of his face and his calm green eyes looked at me.

"Is it okay if I'm going to the city for a bit Y/n? I want to do some exploring, maybe some shopping. See what they've got out here ya know?" I nodded at him, asking how long he's be gone.

"Probs a couple of hours I'd think. Ain't gonna miss dinner though." I gave him the ok, and continued my stuff. He was gone after the ok and I focused back on cleaning my backpack. It was obvious that thing went through a war, it had grass stains, dirt patches and other nasty things I'd rather not think about.

The days were short with winter approaching and were obviously growing colder. It also was a positive thing cause I don't think I've ever slept this much in my entire life. It was calm and uneventful. You don't hear me complain but I would be lying if I'd say i didn't miss the action.

It soon became dinner. I had, once again, forgotten about it until Shorty knocked on my door. It had become a usual thing now, sometimes he'd knock, others he would just open my door. He stood in the opening with his arms crossed.

"You coming short stuff?" Ahh the nicknames, you'd think I wouldn't mind them by now.

"Gimme a sec shorty." I sighed as I clicked my blades in their respective sheaths. Not that it's necessary anymore in this relatively safe HQ but I prefer to carry them around. I once tried not to and a got more than a little hectic. I felt naked and insecure, and above all I saw danger everywhere. I was practically hallucinating at that point.

I made my way over to the entrance of my office and walked with shorty.

"Tch, you know you don't have to carry those around right?" I nodded at him, stretching my arms in front of me.

"I'm aware, just feel safer like this ya know." He nodded in return, sealing our conversation.

A bit of small talk was made as we made our way towards the mess hall, I doubt I'll ever get used to that word. Mess hall. It sounds so odd if you grew up with 'canteen'.

We opened the door and walked to our respective tables, I made my way over to my team. Noticing a face missing.

"Good evening y'all" I said, making up their uncomfortableness. We all knew the unspoken question, no one had to voice it but we all knew.

——

"So he'd be back before dinner huh?" Erwin said as I was pacing around the, now empty, mess hall.

"Where the fuck is he?!" I started sounding desperate. A tone in my voice I could easily recognize as I've heard it more than enough times in the voice of to-be-victims of my blades.

I punched a wall in desperation. I knew it wouldn't just make him appear with some fucking magic but damn I had to load off some steam.

"Hey calm your shit and sit the fuck down. You're making me dizzy just by looking at you, you fucking brat." Levi said as he pulled me over to the table. My team had been sent out to search all premises, but forbidden to go outside of them. This would be our first time outside of HQ in the city and at night it's easy to get lost- wait that's it.

I slammed my fist on the table, "he's lost, he's probably just fucking lost!"

Levi slammed his head on the table in desperation while Eyebrows just sighed. "That's exactly what we've been saying..." Levi murmured with his head buried in his arms on the table.

"Wait when?!"

"Ever since you started pacing around..." Eyebrows finished for Levi, leaving the small frustrated man to his irritation.

That night I slept the worst i have in years. Better known as I didn't sleep at all. I stayed up, pacing around the room. I truly started to know I was far gone when I realized I started making some left over paperwork that was laying around on my desk. The papers I missed when causing my little scene at Eyebrows' office.

I nervously spun a butterfly knife around my fingers. Years of experience and useless fidgeting followed by extreme action taught me all the tips and tricks. Now it had become something I did when bored, or stressed, or both for that matter.

I stayed up the entire fucking night, until I settled down in the windowsill, staring outside at the stars. Hoping that Demian would be ok. Don't get me wrong, I know he could take on a shit load, but that doesn't make him superhuman.

——

I woke up from a couple of sun rays hitting my face, somehow I'd managed to fall asleep last night. I marched out of my bedroom, straight out into the hallway and stopped in front of Jax' and Demian's shared bedroom. I swear if that brunette isn't in here, i will bestow hell on whoever was the cause of this, no matter if it was him himself. I breathed once in and out. I was unconsciously still spinning the butterfly knife, one I did notice however I stopped and put it back in my pocket.

I stood in front of the door.

1...

2...

3.