Why (Ruby)

B/F/N - Best Friend's Name

N/N - Nickname

It was a Wednesday at Freeridge High and you were currently walking to English class with your supplies. You entered the classroom and sat down to get started on the warm up.

A few minutes later, you looked up and saw Ruby working at another table that was right next to yours. By the way Ruby was sitting, you were able to see his face.

You sighed and right before you got back to work, a certain somebody yelled into your ear.

"B/F/N?! you shouted at her with annoyance to your voice as she sat right next to you.

"Hi Y/N." said your bestie and she laughed at you.

"It's not that funny." you said and you looked back down to finish the warm up.

B/F/N calmed down from laughing and she saw Ruby laughing with Cesar and Jamal at another table. B/F/N slowly looked at you and gave you a smirk.

"B/F/N. Don-"

"So what's going on with you and N/N?" asked B/F/N. N/N was the nickname of Ruby so people don't be suspicious.

"I already told you. Nothing. I don't know why you keep on asking about him." you say with annoyance as you look at her.

"You sure?"

"Yeah, totally." you say confirming your answer and the English teacher starts speaking today's class.

-

20 minutes later, the whole class was reading a novel that you have to write an essay that's not due till next week.

You were going back and forth answering questions and reading the novel to make sure you get them done before class is over.

You feel like somebody was looking at you. You looked up from your paper and looked immediately at the direction where you felt the tension at. Your eyes widened to see Ruby looking your way.

"Is he looking at me?" you thought as you saw Ruby gain a big grin.

You wanted to turn around in your chair to see if somebody was right behind you but you don't want to look stupid.

You look from Ruby's direction of his eyes to B/F/N but it wasn't going in her direction.

You look back at Ruby who now has his hand on his right cheek and his elbow on the table while still looking in your direction.

"Omg he's staring at me. What should I do? Should I ignore it? Should I turn away?" you thought as you tried to look like you weren't glancing at him.

"You need to get your man over there." whispered B/F/N and you looked back at her with your eyes widened.

"Wait, you can hear my thoughts?" you whispered back with a surprised face.

"No. You whispered your thoughts out loud." whispered B/F/N and she chuckled at your face because you turn red in embarrassment.

You turned your head back to Ruby and he was STILL looking at you.

You felt your face heating up and went back to work like you never saw him looking at you.

-

You were chatting with B/F/N while you both were in the lunch line until you hear your name being called by someone behind you.

You turned around and jumped a bit to see Ruby with a big smile on his face.

"Hi Ruby." you said shyly. You quickly grab your lunch and walk quickly over to your regular lunch table you sit at every school day with B/F/N.