Do you hear the dogs barking?

"Hey, you that are up there, can you see anything?"

"No"

"Can you hear anything?"

"No, I can't see nor hear anything."

"Poor you."

Sonic was carrying an injured Shadow on his shoulders. He was in pain as well, his legs trembled with each step and sightly cursed under his breath. The long shadows cast on them, forming a one, long and large image on the ground.

"We must be close, Shadow. Keep your ears cleans and let me know if you hear dogs barking, that must mean we are close to the headquarters." Sonic said as he tried to adjust to Shadow holding his neck, making him hard for him to breath.

"Yes, but I can't hear anything." Shadow simply said.

Sonic sighed, "I tired."

"Put me down."

Sonic tried resting a little bit as he put his bank against a tree, still holding into Shadow on his shoulder, not resting his best but gave a small break to his aching feet.

He couldn't put down Shadow. A villager had helped him put him in his shoulders. If he were to put Shadow down, he for sure wouldn't be able to pick him up again. Not on his state, not with his current strength.

"How are you feeling?", Sonic asked as he prepared to continue his path.

"Bad."

He would speak less and less. He would tremble constantly and shake randomly as he felt his the coldness run through his fur.

Before he would say "Put me down, I'll catch up when I feel better." But Sonic wasn't even receiving that.

Sonic bit his tongue, "Does it hurt a lot?"

"Something."

Sonic began to walk again on his path, it was hard for him to see. There were no stars and the only source of light was the moon.

"Do you see anything? Do you hear the dogs barking?" He asked again.

But he didn't get an answer.

"Didn't you hear me? I can't see anything, and you aren't helping!"

Again no answer.

"I am carrying you all of this way and you can't even help me by telling if you see anything? To hell with you Shadow!"

"Put me down," Shadow said softly.

"I've been carrying you for two hours...I will take you to the Resistance HQ no matter what. I won't give up."

"Put me down...I want to rest."

"Sleep on my shoulders, I am holding you anyways."

Shadow didn't say any more. It was impossible for Sonic to see his path as sweat ran through his eyes. His legs still trembled with every step. He could feel his blood spread through his shoes, badly hurt for walking so much.

"I just want to let you know that I am not doing this for you...I am doing this for Amy. If she were to find out that I didn't help you, she would never forgive me." Sonic said as he remembers the pink one. "So I am taking you to the HQ and they are going to cure you...but I am sure as soon as they do, you are going to go back to do evil stuff...there's no way changing you."

"I am...thirsty," Shadow mumbled.

"Shut up! There's nothing here! We wouldn't be in this situation if you weren't on bad steps! I can't believe I trusted you, I can't believe we were friends...That day you murdered Knuckles; when you almost killed Rouge...Amy...that day you became dead to me. I curse you every day for what you did to us."

"I am...thirsty," Shadow said again.

"Too bad! Hold it!" Sonic didn't want to continue but for some reason, the anger inside of him was the thing that kept him going. "I should have known since the beginning...I trusted you...I shouldn't have! Since the first day, I met you I should have known that you only care for yourself! You selfish piece of crap!"

Shadow didn't say anything. No words came out of him. He was still holding onto Sonic's neck.

"You should be thankful that Amy still has hopes for you. That girl is a saint... She would welcome you with her arms open. She loves you that much and you still betrayed her Shadow...out of everyone...why did it have to be you?"

Sonic felt Shadow's hands soften around his neck, his body became heavier on his back. He felt Shadow tremble one more time and his nose made strange sounds.

"You are crying?" Sonic left out a sarcastic laugh. "You don't even have that right, stop whining. You got yourself into this."

A few more minutes passed as Sonic heard more of Shadow's soft whimpering and suddenly, there was no more. Shadow's hands weren't as tight as they were in Sonic's neck and his body felt heavier than usual.

Sonic walked in complete silence a few more minutes until he heard dogs barking. There it was the Resistance Headquarters, they made it.

Sonic sighed once more, disappointed at Shadow, lastly, Sonic said:

"I told you to tell me if you heard the dogs barking! You are never going to change Shadow. You couldn't even help me with that small hope."

.

.

.

A/N: Based on 'Do You Hear the Dogs Barking?" by famous author Juan Rulfo. I still remember how much of an impact I felt when I first read that small story. Although my writing will never be to such level, it was nice to experiment with the story plot with Sonic and Shadow's character. Anyways, thank you for reading!

This story is 833 words. The first story I've written that is less than one thousand words.