Before disaster attacks

The wind danced freely through the summer's grass as it tangled and disentangled the flowers within it. The sun was beginning to set and the tweeting of the birds made the scene almost too perfect. Looking over the horizons, a black and red hedgehog wondered where to go next.

He had said his goodbyes to Rouge at Windmill Village and that was the end of it. After Sonic somehow convinced him that Dr. Eggman was harmless he didn't anything else to do.

"You tried to destroy me in the past too, remember? You even tried to obliterate an entire planet. So-what? You want me to take you out with Eggman? After all, if he can't be forgiven, can you?"

Sonic words still resonated in him. He tried not to let those kinds of things bother him, after all, he had redeemed himself and had come to terms with his past a long time ago.

... Did he?

Shadow began to run, he had nowhere in mind he wanted to go. He enjoyed the wind running through his quills, and thanks to his enhanced abilities, he could smell distinct flowers.

It was a beautiful planet and all he wanted was to protect it and all the Mobians on it.

But could he?

How could he save anyone if he let himself be convinced by Sonic so easily? 

He growled to himself. Maybe he could go back and wait till Sonic was gone so he could fully interrogate Eggman or take him to a place where he could be watched until he made sure he can be trusted.

But if Sonic was right? Maybe he was seeing too much of Eggman in himself. Shadow wished he had the same look like him. He would have preferred to forget everything and be good than been evil like he was.

Now that he looks back at it, it scares him the measures that he was willing to go to find the truth about himself.

He was dangerous then and maybe unconsciously, he was dangerous now.

He was ready to destroy Eggman even if he had changed, without giving him a chance.

Maybe Sonic was right ... he can't be forgiven.

By night time, Shadow had reached a small town which he didn't know the name to. He was going to keep on running but the destroyed gigantic crab-bot outside the town caught his attention. He decided to investigate a little, after all, it wasn't like he had any plans. He entered the town, colorful small houses and many of them. Some of the were destroyed and others were already up for re-building. He reached what it seemed to be the town hall, he was surprised to see the great number of destroyed bots. Sonic or someone else from the Resistance most had taken care of it. Too bad he wasn't there, it seemed like fun.

Shadow turned around, ready to run back the way he came from but as he did a scream resonated in his ears.

"It's another robot!"

Shadow noticed the townfolk was pointing at him, he wanted to go against his words but today's incidents were still in his head.

After all, if he can't be forgiven, can you?"

He broke out of his trance but it was too late. The town's militia had come out of the biggest building around. It caught the dark hedgehog off guard. And within seconds, he was surrounded and pointing wispons at him.

Couldn't they recognize him? Didn't they know he helped save the world as well?

Or maybe they did remember him ... and how he tried to destroy the world.

"Chaos-"

"YOU ALL PUT YOUR WISPONS DOWN!"

Shadow heard a female voice scream at the militia, he somehow felt familiar with it.