6

Gilbert was insanely welcomed back into the school, but there was only really one person he wanted to see

And that was Ellis.

He hated that he couldn't have been at school for her yesterday after the week off. He tried to convince his father to come back a day earlier from the District of Alberta, but John wasn't well and he wanted to spend as much time with Gilbert as he possibly could.

"How was the district of Alberta?" Moody questioned pulling Gilbert away form Anne. "Did you see the Rocky Mountains?"

"Uhh, they're pretty hard to miss." Gilbert said looking around for Ellis.

"We're they big?" Moody continued to ask questions about Gilbert and his fathers trip to Alberta.

"They're mountains." Gilbert smiled.

"Is your dad feeling better?" Charlie asked.

"Uh. We're both glad to be back home." Gilbert answered. He knew the odds were not in his dads favour. "Is Ellis here?" He asked taking off his hat and scarf.

"Why do you care about her?" Moody questioned, almost laughing.

"I-I don't." Gilbert lied.

"She stormed out yesterday. Mr Phillips made her wear the dunce cap." Charlie whispered as sharing a secret.

Gilbert felt a drop of sorrow in his whole body just at the thought of Ellis being forced upon the front of the class with such shame.

"What happened?" Gilbert asked, wanting to know more.

"Ellis couldn't spell preserve. I don't know why not it's an -" Gilbert glared at Charlie. "Everyone laughed at her. Then at lunch she left and didn't come back. Everyone's saying someone said something to her."

Gilbert turned to face Billy. He wouldn't doubt him for one second.

"Billy." Gilbert stood up and came face to face with the boy who didn't exactly fear him, but was yet to know what he was capable of. "What did you say to Ellis?"

Billy laughed menacingly but didn't answer. Gilbert cared too much for Ellis and Billy didn't like it one bit.

Gilbert stepped forward with his fist clenched and it was then that Billy caved,

"Nothing bud. It was carrots." Gilbert turned to look at the orphan. "She asked what was wrong with her." Billy chuckled. "I mean, we were all thinking it."

Gilbert clenched his jaw and took his seat.

~

"Mr Phillips, may I have a word?" Gilbert questioned as he looked to the teacher.

"Yes?" He groaned.

"It's about Ellis. I was wondering why she isn't in school." Gilbert stated scratching the back of his neck anxiously.

"I do not know, if that's all-"

"Can I have an extra reader, I shall take it to her house. So she can catch up on the reading when she comes back." Gilbert asked. Mr Phillips rolled his eyes but handed Gilbert an extra book. "Thank you Sir." He mumbled before walking away.

~

Gilbert stopped outside the Bennett household. He let out a deep breath before knocking on the door.

"Hello Gilbert." Carter smiled swinging the door open.

Gilbert tried his hardest not to gasp at the bruise on Carters eye. It was fresh, only done a couple of days ago.

"Is Ellis ok - In. I mean is Ellis - Can I talk to Ellis please?" Gilbert panicked, wondering if she was okay.

Carter looked at the boy and laughed,

"You're in luck." Carter stepped out of the way and let Gilbert in.