15

Ellis stood outside stroking Toffee

Ellis stood outside stroking Toffee. She needed to calm down and stroking him usually worked for Carter.

She'd stayed awake all that night replaying Anne's words over and over in her head.

"I didn't know you and Gilbert were courting."

She stared at herself through the mirror on her wall.

Is that what everyone thought?

That her and Gilbert were courting?

That eventually they were going to get married?

Marriage?

Ellis didn't even know if she wanted to get married or not. She wasn't exactly the perfect wife type of girl.

Ellis smiled at Toffee and wished that she could ride him. The boys never taught her how to ride a horse. Mainly because Toffee was only Carters and Carter didn't like riding animals unless he had to.

Gilbert wiped his fallen tears and walked up to Ellis. She hadn't noticed him yet. He was going to tap on her shoulder so that she'd turn around and face him.

But instead, he wrapped his arms around her small waist and cried into her shoulder.

Ellis froze.

"Gilbert?" She whispered.

"He's dead Ellis, he's dead." Gilbert sobbed into her shoulder.

John Blythe was dead.

"Oh Gilbert." Ellis didn't know what to say, what to do.

Ellis wrapped her arms around the boys shoulders and ran her fingers through his hair soothingly.

A small tear rolled down Ellis' cheek.

She'd never been hugged before. Her brothers never hugged her, she never knew her dad and her mom died giving birth to her.

Pops always said

'Love is a weakness.'

But hell that didn't seem like a weakness and the tighter the grip he had upon her, the stronger she in fact felt.