34

Ellis woke up with a sad smile on her face

Ellis woke up with a sad smile on her face. It was her fifteenth birthday. But that also meant that it was fifteen years since her mother had past away.

She knew that her brothers were planning some sort of celebration for her, since they often spent the night talking about her once they believed that she was asleep.

"Happy birthday to you. Happy-" Her brothers walked in singing.

"Stop please. Before you make my ears bleed." She laughed as Patrick carried in a cake that they had made. "Is that even edible?"

"We're not too sure." James mumbled as he sat next to her on the bed. "I think we should let Ernie try it first to find out." He whispered making her giggle.

"I heard that." Ernest mumbled.

He hated today. He tried to be happy for his youngest sibling but today was just a reminded that he lost his mother. Although he didn't get along with his mother as much as he did with his father, he still loved her.

Patrick always took this day the hardest as he was closest to their mother. He often spent the day in his room or sat beside her grave, taking to her.

"Make a wish Ellie." Carter spoke softly as the candles were burning on the cake.

Ellis closed her eyes and took a deep breath.

:To see Gilbert Blythe.

It was her wish every year. They always spent their birthdays together.

"Hello!" Gilbert shouted as he and Bash walked into the Bennett house. Ellis passed the cake to James and jumped out of bed. She ran into the kitchen and threw her arms around Gilbert. "Happy birthday Ellie." He whispered.

Ellis pulled away and blushed slightly.

"Wishes do come true." She smiled but only said it under her breath so he didn't hear her because she'd only turn redder and grow more embarrassed.

Gilbert handed her a box which was neatly wrapped up.

She quickly unwrapped the present. She opened the box and saw a fountain pen. It had her entitles engraved onto it.

"Thank you." She smiled as she fiddled with the pen. "I love y-it."