77

Ellis stood in the barn with everyone from the fair

"Next up is the dashing white Sargent, warm up. Form up in sets of six!" Ellis didn't want to dance, she couldn't bring herself to do it.

"W-will, yo-u danc-ce for m-m-me?" Ellis questioned Mabel. The blonde girl smiled at James' younger sister.

"Of course, come on James." Mabel said linking her arm with James and pulling him to the dance floor.

Ernest stood tall next to Ellis, everyone was looking at him in his uniform. Some recognised him and gave him a nod 'hello', others barely acknowledged his presence.

"Ellis, I know you hate me-"

"I don't hate you Ernie, I just dislike you at times." She smiled up to him. "Sometimes you're too much like Pops."

"I don't mean to be, but the man did raise me." Ernest said, trying to make excuses for himself.

"He raised us all. Don't you forget that." Ellis said as she walked off, to get a drink.

"J-Josie." Ellis clear her throat and glanced at Gilbert who was laughing with Winnie. "Yo-ur bow." Ellis took it upon herself to fix Josie's bow, until she noticed the leaves and sticks in her hair and stuck to her dress. Ellis pulled them off one by one.

"Next dance is the Circassian circle. Whooo Whooo! All aboard." Ellis didn't make an effort to go and join in, and neither did Josie.

"Are you okay?" Ellis said confidentially, to Josie. Josie nodded, but she looked as if she was about to cry.

Anne looked over to Josie and looked around at everyone gossiping. Anne broke away and went over to Ellis and Josie.

"Josie are you alright?"

"I'm fine." Josie snapped.

"Are you sure? The boys are saying things about you and Billy." Anne explained, Ellis couldn't help but feel angry.

"What are they saying?"

"That you couldn't wait for the wedding." James, Carter and Ernest all over heard Anne tell Josie and Ellis. Ellis clenched her fists as Anne stormed over to Billy.

"How dare you!" Anne shouted.

"Come to beg for a kiss too?"

Ellis felt physically sick, hearing the boy speak. He tried something similar to her last year.

"Beg? That's not what happened and you know it." Anne said strongly. "How dare you spread nasty rumours about my friend?"

"You weren't there. You don't know what you're talking about." Billy snapped.

"I have eyes, and I can see that she is devastated." Anne responded. "You shouldn't have touched her, Billy."

"Well, I guess she regrets having loose morals." Billy said loudly so that everyone was listening.

"Nothing happened." Josie whispered to herself before running out.

Ellis felt an anger like no other and once Billy walked away from Anne. Ellis stormed over to him. Billy looked the girl up and down with a smirk.

"Here's another who couldn't keep her hands off me."

James clenched his jaw angrily, he could and would happily kill that boy.

Ellis clenched her fist too and swung for Billy, the sound of her knuckles audibly cracked against his cheek bone and jaw.

Carter tried to stop her from going any further but James pulled him back.

"Are you going to step in?" Gilbert questioned James, making him scoff and ignore the boy.

With another clean swing, Billy was on the floor.

"Don't touch her again." She snapped and stormed off towards her brothers.

"My, my, she is quiet the heroine." Mabel said placing her hand on James bicep.

"I hate that boy." Ellis said angrily as looked up to her older brothers. "He's tried to ruin my reputation, I wasn't letting him do it to Josie too. No way."