47

Anne had previously invited Ellis to help save Miss Stacy as she knew how much Miss Stacy helped Ellis with her studies

"Alright, everybody ready?" Anne questioned as they got onto the cart.

"Yes." Moody said but it sounded more like a question.

"I can't tell if I'm scared or excited." Diana smiled nervously.

"We're going to get in so much trouble." Ruby worried.

"What's our battle cry?" Anne questioned.

"B-battle cry?" Ellis stuttered. "H-how abo-about Save Miss S-Stacy?"

"Save Miss Stacy!" Everyone shouted as they put their hands together.

~

They road along to Coles farm and waved at him.

"Get in, were going to Charlottetown." Anne said to Cole.

"Now?" Cole questioned.

"Yes." Moody answered.

"Why?" Cole asked curiously.

"I'll tell you on the way. You're coming with us. You need to see Miss Barry. She'll have some advice for you, I'm sure of it." Anne insisted.

"You're driving there?" Cole questioned.

"We're taking the train." Diana said confidently, although on the inside she was nervous.

"I don't have any money." Cole mumbled.

"Neither do we." Ruby said as she rested her head on the cart.

"Then how-"

"I've jumped on to a freight before with Carter to go and visit our brothers. We'll be fine." Ellis looked only at Cole once she spoke, so that she didn't stutter.

"I'm already in enough trouble." Cole reasoned.

"So how much worse could it get?" Anne compromised. Cole sighed and took one last look at his house before getting onto the cart.

~

The man had just finished checking the cars.

"We're hopping a freight car?" Cole questioned shocked.

"I can't breathe." Diana mumbled, panicking.

"We're all going to die." Ruby said pessimistically.

"Quiet the optimist." Ellis mumbled. "It's not hard. You just have to get the timing right." Ellis watched the man walk off and shuffled forward slightly. She watched him go into a little hut. "Go." She tapped Anne. "Diana, Ruby." She paused and waited a minute. "Moody. Cole you go now." Ellis instructed. Moody fell over and Ellis rushed and helped him up.

"Ellis?" She heard Gilbert shout. She looked around and once she had found the boy, she waved. It was the most innocent wave that he had seen. She quickly climbed into the freight cart.

"Told you it wasn't hard."

~

Once the train had come to a halt, Ellis slowly opened the door. She smiled once she saw Gilbert waiting for them. He had a cheeky grin on his face, and the scarf that he usually let her wear, around his neck.

"What are you doing here?" Ellis questioned as the other got out of the freight cart.

"I figure I should ask you the same question." Gilbert chuckled as he extended his hand to help her out.

Gilbert explained how Bash had gone missing and he was going to find him.

"I hope you find Bash." The others were walking far behind them.

"I'll hope he'll forgive me for being so selfish." Gilbert mumbled as he grabbed their hands and gave her three light squeezes. She panicked. He had to know what it meant. Right? She gave three light squeezes back. Maybe he didn't mean to do it and Ellis was thinking too much into it.

"I'm sure you'll make things right. You always do." Gilbert smiled at the compliment.

"Yes, thank you. Well, good luck with the others and saving Miss Stacy, I'll see you later okay?" Ellis nodded at what Gilbert had said. Before he walked off he leant down and placed a light kiss on Ellis' cheek, dangerously close to her lips.

"Okay." She smiled sweetly.

Cole and Anne rushed up to Ellis as Gilbert walked away.

"You know Gilbert Blythe has a crush on you, right?" Anne questioned.

"H-He doe-does n-n-not!" Ellis said adamantly.