76

"GOD, WHY CAN'T YOU BE MORE LIKE YOUR BROTHERS?"

Pops shouted angrily as he threw their mothers photo frame across the room. Carter, Reuben, James and Ellis all watched in shock.

Ellis had just finished helping Reuben out of his second panic attack today because he didn't want to join the army. But nevertheless he had turned 17 the day previous and Pops had made him sign up pretty much immediately.

Ellis had told Reuben that she was exteremly proud of him and that he was incredibly brave, though he didn't believe it himself.

Earlier that morning James had said that he wanted to join up a year early. He had told Ellis a week before that he was thinking about it. He wanted a way to escape Pops wrath.

He had told Pops the news without thinking about what consequences it might have. James didn't think about how it could affect his twin brother, Carter.

Carter didn't want anything to do with the army or killing people. All Carter really wanted to do was stay at home with Ellis or go for a ride on Toffee, if it was a bad day. He also liked to paint, though Pops said that was a girly thing to do and broke his brushes clean in half.

During the conversation that James had created Pops had turned to Carter, his twin brother, and asked why he too wasn't ready.

He didn't want to go at all but his excuse was that it was illegal to join underage though that wasn't a good enough excuse for Pops and instead he began to shout.

During his anger outburst, Pops swung at Carter and punched him in the jaw which made the boy stagger back slightly.

He didn't do anything, but he took the beating because he believed he deserved it.

It was his fault for not joining up. He was a coward.

Pops constantly reminded them that their father would have wanted them to join up, and that they would be a disgrace to the family if they didn't.

James grew furious, he wanted to kill Pops for hurting his twin brother and the anger that surged through his veins made his body feel hot to touch.

"Ruby doesn't even want to go!" Carter shouted, his jaw was already bruising. Pops glared at Reuben and grabbed the army uniform to pull him closer.

"Is that true boy?" Pops seethed, Reuben tried to stand tall and appear brave, but it wasn't working. He was terrified of Pops, they all were.

"No Pops. Carter doesn't know what he's talking about." Reuben paused after his voice broke as he frantically spoke. "I wanted to sign up last year. I shouldn't have been babied, you should have let me go!" He snapped.

Reuben's eyes were watering, he was clearly lying.

"You wouldn't have survived last year, heck I doubt you will this year." Pops scoffed at Reubens statement, releasing the curly haired boy from his grip.

Ellis took a small step towards Reuben and grabbed his hand. She gave it three light squeezes, in return she got three back.

"James should stay home, like I did." Reuben stated.

He knew how much Ellis adored both James and Carter. She wouldn't want to lose James a year before she had to.

"I don't need your protection." James snapped pulling Ruby's shoulder back to make Reuben look at him.

Ellis let go of Reuben's hand to look up to James. She tried to talk him out of it. She begged him to stay, but he couldn't deal with the abuse that Pops was giving him.

James definitely got it the worse as he was the most defiant. He never listened to Pops, which caused his body to be covered in cuts and bruises.

"James is right. He's strong. He's ready, unlike Carter." Pops glared at the boy. James felt slightly proud of himself. Pops never said that anyone was strong. It made him feel as though he had achieved something.

"Tell him Ellie, you've just helped Reuben out of a panic attack haven't you?" Carter pleaded for his baby sisters help.

"I-I-um-h-" Ellis stuttered for the first time.

Her brothers always got her involved in arguments. She hated it. They always used her for something.

Ellis looked up to Carter apologetically, she couldn't make Reuben appear weak in front of Pops. Pops would have killed him.

So instead, she remained silent and didn't give anyone eye contact.