30

Ernest walked to the Blythe's house, hoping that Gilbert would agree to come around for Christmas dinner like every other year

Ernest walked to the Blythe's house, hoping that Gilbert would agree to come around for Christmas dinner like every other year. It was a tradition that the Blythe's and Bennett's spent Christmas together.

His straight brown hair fell in front of his brown eyes. He tried his hardest to gel it back like Patrick did, but it would never work.

Ernest's white shirt, which was covered due to his grey knitted jumper, was tucked into his brown trousers. He smiled as he knocked on the door, he placed his hands behind his back and waited for an answer.

"Good day to you sir." Sebastian said as he opened the door.

"Hello, is Gilbert Blythe home?" Ernie questioned rocking back and forth on his heels.

"Blythe! There's a very smart looking man here to see you!" Bash shouted, not even seconds later Gilbert arrived at the door.

"Ernest!" Gilbert smiled happily. "I heard you were all home. I was meaning to come and see you-"

"Don't worry about it Gilbert." Ernest chuckled. In many ways he idolised Gilbert. Gilbert knew his father and got to spend time with him, that was all Ernest wanted.

To spend time with his family. 

"I was just wondering if you and your friend. Would like to join us for Christmas dinner. Just like the old times?" Ernie smiled at Bash.

"We'd love too." Gilbert smiled, a genuine smile. He enjoyed spending Christmas with the Bennett's. Every single year Ellis told him that he didn't need to buy her a present and every year he found something that reminded him of Ellis Carla Bennett and bought it for her.

"Good. I'll see you at 12 sharp?" Ernest said as he walked off and back home.

~

"You're so talented Cole." Tilly stated as she and the other girls watched Cole and Carter paint. Ellis sat on the edge of the stage rolling her eyes at the girls trying to gain their attention.

"Carter, that painting is magnificent." Josie said as she smiled to the boy.

"T-thank you." Carter stuttered nervously as he looked to Cole.

"Come along ladies, there's no need to watch paint dry." Mrs Lynde instructed.

Ellis wanted no part in the schools pantomime so she stayed where she was sat.

Billy walked over to where Cole was and swung the plank of wood that he had in his hands to hit Coles ladder, making Cole fall to the ground with a crack of his wrist-

-And Ellis watched the whole thing happen.

Carter didn't hesitate to quickly climb down the ladders and rush to Cole.

"Are you okay?" Carter questioned frantically as Gilbert and Ellis also ran over to them.

Cole was shouting in pain as he clutched his wrist.

"Stay still, don't move." Gilbert instructed.

"Is he alright?" Rachel questioned rushing down.

"His wrist is definitely broken." Gilbert announced. "I don't know what else."

"It was an accident. I swear." Billy lied so angrily, Ellis stood up from her spot.

"That's a load of-" She clenched her fist and went to punch Billy but Gilbert's arms wrapped around her waist.

"Enough!" Gilbert said as he pulled Ellis away from Billy.

Carter watched the pair, he observed everything quietly and that's when he realised-

-Gilbert Blythe and Ellis Bennett definitely loved each other.