38

Ellis arrived just as Isaac, the man who previously was the help on the train to Charlottetown, pushed Bash to the floor

"Steamers just a floating train! You licked your share of boots to survive!" Isaac shouted.

Ellis ran up and pushed the man with all her strength. She earned a few looks. Suddenly, she felt very much out of place.

Isaac soon realised his mistake and helped Bash up.

"Now I coulda hit you in the mouth. Laundry's a few streets that way. They'll take care of you." Bash nodded, picked up his hat and wiped as much mud off of him as he could.

Ellis ran quickly next to him. She didn't want to be alone in a place she didn't know.

~

"Wait. Don't go straight in." Bash said as he stopped her from walking into the laundrettes. He stared in the window for a minute, waiting for someone to notice him. "Now we go in." He said once someone had waved him in.

"Afternoon ladies, I have to be honest—"

"I hope so. The last man who tried to rob us left here with less than he came with." Mary said making all the women laugh.

"My situation might be a bit of a challenge." Bash admitted. Ellis hid behind him. She couldn't help but feel intimidated.

"Well, bring your challenge inside and close the door." Mary instructed. Bash walked in and waited for Ellis to hide behind him once again before he shut the door. The women instantly gagged and covered their noses.

"Ooh! Hot in here. Feels just like a perfect Carnival Monday." Bash chuckled. Ellis gripped his wrist tightly. She felt intimated and out of place as they were all staring at her.

"If I didn't have to smell him, I could listen to him talk all day." One woman said.

"Lucky you got a warm place to be in, in this bone chilling winter." Bash said as he looked around.

"I'm lucky?" Mary questioned raising her brow.

"C-come on B-Bash. We'll ge-get you cl-cleaned up at h-h-home." Ellis stuttered as she pulled at his clothes.

"Yes." Bash stayed as he took off his coat.

"I'm lucky to be working here all day, hunched over this tub, cleaning dirt and worse out of people foul smelling underthings?" Mary questioned turning to face Bash.

She noticed the small, timid girl behind him and scoffed, Nobody liked the whites. Telling them what to do and when to do it.

"Now that you put it like that—"

"Nickel per item, press and starch included." Mary said returning to her work.

"I hope you don't mind me saying so Miss, but you're very pretty. Just like a Julie Mango shining in the sun." Bash complimented.

"I do mind. Why is it that men think women are waiting around to be complimented. I'm working." Mary placed her hands on her hips.

"You can say that again." Ellis mumbled, not thinking that anyone heard but Mary caught on and smiled at the girl. Maybe she wasn't so bad.

"S-sorry, I used to be good at this." Bash apologises. Ellis began to fiddle with her hands nervously.

"Good at what? Dropping off your laundry?"

"Talking to ladies. Must be out of practice." Bash smiled.

"Must be. March in here with your mango this, lucky that?" Mary chuckled.

"I'm sorry, for a moment you made me forget all my troubles."

"Well, lets have your things." Mary instructed, shaking her head.

"Come on now, you don't have anything Jocelyn hasn't seen before." Another women said with a chuckle.

"I don't mind seeing it again." Jocelyn joked.

Bash began to take his clothes off, making Ellis turn around and cover her eyes.

"Wool pants?" Jocelyn laughed.

"Not so good with the cold." Bash explained.

Gilbert walked in and saw Ellis with her eyes covered. His hands gently grabbed her wrist. She froze, wondering who it was. Gilbert pulled her hands away from her face.

"Are you okay?" He whispered and Ellis nodded.

"I have been looking all over for you." Gilbert announced to Bash. "What happened? Why are you standing half-naked in a room full of women?" He turned to face Ellis. "And why did you allow it?" Ellis didn't say anything, or even shrug.

Gilbert slowly linked their hands and pulled her closer to him. He could see how anxious she really was. Ellis gave his hand three squeezes.

"Fortune finally smiled on me. Ladies, this is my friend and business partner, Gilbert Blythe. Oh and this is Ellis Bennett." Bash introduced the pair.

"Forgive me. Pardon me." Gilbert said as he took of his hat, as a sign of respect. Mary nodded to Gilbert.

"And you are?" Mary questioned.

"Name is Sebastian." He paused. "You can call me Bash, Bastian, Trini. Whatever you like."

"Turns out there's no train until tomorrow, so we'll need to find a hotel. Can you recommend one?" Gilbert questioned.

"Caters to black folks? Good luck." Jocelyn said.

"I know someone, who has a room. She lets it out to people in need." Mary said as she walked over to Bash. "These were never claimed." She said as she handed him a new pair of trousers.

"I wonder why not." He said as he glanced at the purple stripy bottoms.

"Best I can offer." She shrugged.

"What is this someone's name who takes in wayward travellers?" Bash questioned curiously.

"Mary."