88

"You think you passed?" Asked the whispers within Miss Stacy's house, they were all talking about the exams they'd done

Ellis was stood next to Moody, he'd seemed to be her little protector ever since the panic attack and then the drunken mess she became to night at the ruins.

She looked briefly behind her to catch a small glance of Gilbert who did the same and as they awkwardly made eye contact they snapped back around so they didn't prolong the situation.

"Queen scholars" Miss Stacy announced coming round the kitchen table, she flashed a glance at Ellis and winked her way "I hold in my hand your Queens entrance exam test scores"

The class all sighed, none of them knowing if it was with relief or panic.

"Regardless of the outcome, I'm proud of how hard everyone has worked and how acquitted yourselves. You've made a great showing for Avonlea. And now...storm the castle"

She slapped down the paper on the table and the students all jumped towards them to look at the exam scores. Ellis stepped backwards, she knew that she couldn't have possibly passed so she didn't want to embarrass herself.

"Diana got in!" Tilly exclaimed bending over the paper and the others all began to gasp "Gilbert and Anne tied for first!" She said excitedly and the pair shared a glance.

Moody cranes his neck to look at scores he didn't even look for his own name first he turned to Ellis and with the happiest grin on his face shouted,

"ELLIS YOU GOT IN!" The whole class turned to look at Ellis who's mouth fell open. Gilbert turned to look at her and made the biggest widest smile possible.

"Congratulations" Gilbert said approaching Ellis and making her turn from Moody and towards him. Her happy smile kind of fell a little but she thanked him never the less.

"H-have you got a-something to say to me?" Ellis questioned and Gilbert's face scrunched wondering how to say it and instead he just repeated,

"Congratulations"

"Everyone?" Called Miss Stacy to the class "it is with a heavy but proud bear that i say to you one last time: class dismissed"

The class fell into excited chatter talking about their next steps in their future, which was daunting yet exciting.

Miss Stacy pulled Ellis back which was awfully awkward seen as Gilbert was also holding back to have a conversation with Miss Stacy herself.

"I just thought I'd congratulate you on your marks for this exam. I know it took you twice the effort it would take one of my other students to get those grades and so I'm unbelievably proud of you" Miss Stacy said reaching forward to hold Ellis' hand, she smiled at her gratefully and said,

"I-I-I couldn't have d-done it without you"