26

"Ellis! You have received yet another letter from Mr Gilbert Blythe

"Ellis! You have received yet another letter from Mr Gilbert Blythe." Carter announced as he waved the letter in front of Ellis' face teasingly. Ellis reached out and tried to grab the letter from Carter's grasp.

"Carter come on. Let me read it!" Ellis said with a smile, knowing that Carter would eventually give her the letter because really he was a big softie.

Carter handed Ellis the letter, which she immediately ripped open.

"Patty!" Ellis shouted her brother, Patrick, to come and read her the letter.

"Yes Ellis?" Patrick questioned as he walked into the kitchen, where Ellis and Carter were.

"Will you read me the letter?" Ellis questioned innocently with a blush.

Patrick was the only one in the family could could read fluently, everyone was sure it was because Carla Bennett, their mother, taught him.

Patrick cleared his throat before reading the letter.

"Dear Ellis Carla Bennett,

I heard about your Pops passing, I am so very sorry for your loss and that I am not able to comfort you in your time of need. I wish that I could've been there for you, to help you say goodbye to him.

Anne told me that your brothers came up for the funeral. All of them? I suppose it would make sense, them all coming up. How are they? Are they okay? Not injured I hope.

I heard that there may be gold in Avonlea, are you and your brothers going to mine the land?

I also regret to inform you that I am not coming back to Avonlea. I feel as if home isn't the right fit for me anymore. I want to see the world, explore new places. It's what my father would've wanted. It's what I want too.

I do hope that we can keep in touch,

Love,
Gilbert Blythe"

Ellis had tears forming in her eyes.

He wasn't coming back?

He left her?

Again?

"What's going on?" James questioned noticing that his older brother and twin were staring at his younger sister.

"Gilbert Blythe isn't returning home." Carter replied to his twin.

James turned to face Ellis, he knew how close her and the Blythe boy were from their previous Christmas' spent together. It was a tradition that the Blythe's and the Bennett's had Christmas dinner together.

"I'm fine." Ellis snapped and walked out of the house, with a slam of the front door.