87

Gilbert had been weighing up his options all night and all morning, he'd been practising what to say to Winifred and when to say it

He'd gone down to the school to help clear the rubble, a lot of the other boys had gone down to help to seen as it was such a mess.

Moody was lifting a charcoaled piece of wood under his arm, he noticed that Gilbert had stopped off to get a drink of water and decide that it was a good time to approach him about the marriage.

"Are you ready to plight your troth? Take the plunge? Get hitched?" Moody asked the boy and Gilbert laughed turning around.

"I know what you meant, Moody" Gilbert responded, he was tousling with his thoughts inside of his head so it came out a little snappy.

"You've chosen a wife, haven't you?" He questioned wondering whether it was the right time to speak to him about drunk Ellis and what had happened after he'd left.

"It doesn't quite work like that" Gilbert responded as Moody began to rock backwards and fourth.

"It must be daunting. You're determining the course of your entire life" Moody said blowing his cheeks out like he couldn't imagine anything worse.

"I'm aware" Gilbert snapped.

"How long will you stay in Charlottetown after you're married?" Moody pressed trying to figure out more.

"You snared a Charlottetown girl, nice" Billy chuckled taking off his work gloves and looking towards Gilbert. "I'm appraising a few myself. Small-town girls aren't up to snuff. Just right for you though, bud"

Moody accidentally rolled his eyes at the sound of his voice, he didn't mean to it was just instinct as Billy tapped his back.

"Ahhh" he laughed shaking the boy away from him "it's going to break Ellis' heart you do know that right?" Moody asked Gilbert once Billy retreated.

Gilbert sent him a scowl not quite understanding what he meant but Moody carried on talking.

"After you'd gone the night of the exams, the girl got pretty intoxicated" Moody admitted thinking back to when she had asked him to come sit back on the log with her so she wasn't alone.

"What did she say?" Gilbert asked inquisitively.

Moody shrugged taking a step backwards as if he was going to go back to work without answering Gilbert's question.

"I think you know what she said" Moody responded tilting his cap Gilbert's way before walking back into the rubble.