83

Gilbert had gone to Ellis' house to walk her to school, on the way back from the Town Hall she'd confided in him that she'd missed school and so he'd decided to retake up the tradition of walking her to school

Though when they reached the school, all they were met with was Anne, Miss Stacy and a pile of rubble.

Their school had been burnt to the ground.

"How could-" Anne stuttered looking at the remains of her school as the others stepped forwards to look at what had happened.

Ellis gripped onto Gilbert's arm, he held her to his side as he too watched Miss Stacy wade through the soot, naming the only survives of the flames.

"W-what h-h-happened" Ellis questioned, she tried not to say it too loud and mainly towards Gilbert but Miss Stacy heard and said,

"No printing-press metal"

"A printing-press doesn't just up and walk away by itself" Gilbert said catching on to what Miss Stacy was saying, he pulled Ellis in further shielding her eyes from the black mess.

"The fire in the stove wasn't lit" Moody announced looking across at everyone who had crowded from all angles to look at it.

"Ask whoever took the printing-press, because it's not here" Anne exasperated and the others all glanced at her and back to the rubble to see if they could see it.

"Somebody did this on purpose?" The students began to chatter amongst themselves, about who could have done such a thing to a school.

"Who would?"

"Those who didn't like being challenged." Gilbert said looking towards Miss Stacy and then to Moody as he said,

"They can't get away with this. We have to do something!"

"We did do something and this was the result" Tilly said her bottom lip extending as the others all look at her and then to Anne.

"And now we have both. It's all my fault." Anne sniffled wiping her nose with the back of her hand. Ellis wanted to say something but she didn't know exactly what to say.

"This is not Anne's fault" Miss Stacy announced to the children "Nor any of yours. This is the fault of small minds!" She concluded and the others nodded as if they believed her. "We don't know exactly what happened, and we may never, but we cannot let it knock us down or silence us. Yes, this is a vile, spineless act but it's proof positive that we made an impact. Kudos to you"

Ellis looked across at Anne as she started to silently hyperventilate she was worried for her so she stepped a little closer and offered her hand to hold.

"Now is the time to focus on your futures and the Queens entrance exams, and not on this act of Cowardice!"

Anne suddenly broke free of Ellis' hand and started to run back down into the fields,

"A-A-Anne!" She stuttered after her but she was long gone into the distance and Ellis was left with Gilbert holding her from behind as they wanted her blue stress sprint away.