89

Once again the Bennett brothers sat around the table watching Ellis as she straightened her poshest frock, she was actually going to Queens

She'd made it.

"We're so unbelievably proud of you, Ellie" Franklin announced, he tried not to admit it but watch his youngest and littlest sister grow up and flee the nest was emotional to say the least.

"I can't believe you did it" Reuben teased and so she nudged him and the table fell quiet again.

She was leaving awfully soon along with Anne and Ruby. Her whole life ready and waiting ahead of her.

"Thank you" she whispered to Carter, the brother who had raised her, he'd been the most important thing to her and she was extremely grateful.

"I can't believe you're leaving quicker than Carter" James laughed and Carter looked towards his feet, he knew that when the boys went back to the field the house would be awfully quiet without Ellis.

"You go there and you prove to everyone you're the best, okay?" Patrick said smiling towards his little sister "you show them how amazing you are"

Ellis nodded as if she understood, the boys all stood up and pulled her in for a group hug. The boys squeezing her tightly which was extremely rare because they weren't a touchy-feely family.

The travel to Queens was pleasant although all Ellis could think about was Gilbert and the fact that she hadn't been able to say goodbye before she left. She'd have hoped that he'd come to see her but he just didn't show.

"Welcome, Scholars. I am Mrs. Blackmore. It is a great pleasure to welcome you to my home. I hope you will cherish this place as much as I do, and delight in your time here"

Ellis looked up towards the large creamy building, it's edges were painted a pretty teal colour and she couldn't believe that that's where she'd be staying.

"Lily will assist you, but please note that since she is a deaf mute, you will not be able to ring"

Ellis' head perked up, she had never been around someone who had any sort of limiting disability although hers wasn't quite as bad as the maids she suddenly felt like a weight had been lifted from her shoulders.

It was the start of a new chapter.

"Hello and welcome to Blackmore" the woman signed as Mrs. Blackmore translated "and yes, Lily can read lips" she said towards the girls.

An excitement for her new life shrilled through Ellis as Miss Blackmore continued.

"A prompt arrival at meals is expected, and curfew is not a suggestion. I can see that serious students like yourselves would never dream of disappointing or breaking the rules. Well have such fun here together. Now, without further ado, won't you please come in?"

The girls burst from the line all apart from Ellis who chose to politely walk up the stairs, since she hadn't rushed forwards Miss Blackmore stopped her and asked for her name,

"Ahhh you're the girl Miss Stacy told me about, a special mind" she complemented.

Ellis blushed, she'd never been complemented on such a thing that she felt in awe. She was certain that this was the start of something incredible.