16

It was John Blythe's funeral

It was John Blythe's funeral. Nearly the whole town showed up and Pops had made sure that he was there.

Ellis walked at the front with Gilbert, holding his hand tightly. He hadn't let her out of his sight since the moment he told her that John had died. He was worried that he would loose her too.

"Let not your heart be troubled. Ye believe in God, believe also in me. In my fathers house are many mansions. If it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you." The minister spoke. Gilbert's eyes had not left his fathers coffin.

Ellis glanced up at the boy, he wasn't crying. Nearly everyone was crying. Ellis gave Gilbert's hand three small squeezes. Gilbert looked at her and gave her hand three squeezes back. He wasn't sure what it meant but the small gesture went a long way.

"And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and recurve your unto myself for where I am, there ye may be also." The minister closed his bible and looked at everyone.

"Amen." Everyone whispered, slowly raising their heads.

"General William Bennett has a few words that he would like to say." The minster said.

With the help of Carter, Pops made his way to stand by John's grave. "John Blythe fought beside me every day for 1,572 days. He was a brave, brave soldier."

Pops looked at Gilbert, who was holding Ellis hand.

"I saved his life once and he said it'd be forever in my debt. A few weeks later, he tried to save my sons life. Unfortunately Thomas didn't make it. John Blythe was like a brother to me. He shall be missed. Rest in Peace." Pops took off his dog tags and threw them onto the grave.

Everyone was going back to the house for the wake. Pops walked over to Gilbert and placed a hand on his shoulder.

"I'm heading home now, son." Gilbert nodded understandingly. William wasn't well, but Gilbert was grateful he could make it to the funeral. "Don't be weak."

"Do not tell him what to do." Ellis snapped. Her Pops was completely out of line, Gilbert had just lost his father.

"Ellis, get home now." William instructed.

"No, I think that I am going to stay, until the sun sets and longer if I bloody damn want too." Ellis glared at her Pops.

"Ellis Carla Bennett."

"William Bennett." The two of them were both stubborn. Neither of them wanted to leave first.

"Come on Pops, lets get you home." Carter said sending a warning look to Ellis. She knew she was going to be in trouble when she got home.

Gilbert went to sit down on the bench, his fingers still linked with Ellis'.

"It's okay to cry." Ellis whispered, it was so quiet she wasn't even sure if Gilbert had heard her.

"Didn't think I'd ever hear a Bennett say that." Gilbert mumbled.

It soon fell silent.

"Are things going to be okay when you get home?" Gilbert questioned.

"Of course, after all, staying with you is the least I could do."

~

Gilbert walked back to the house with Ellis.

"I can't go in." Gilbert announced as he pulled Ellis back.

"Okay, we can sit outside if you'd like, or I can give you your space." Ellis offered.

Gilbert thought for a minute.

"I'll come back if you need me Gil-Bert." She paused. "You know that I'm not leaving right? I'm coming back."

"Yeah. I know." Gilbert lied as he looked at their hands. "I know."

"I'll be inside." Ellis said as she slowly pulled her hand away.

~

Ellis sat on the chair next to the window, watching Gilbert and Anne talk. She didn't know what Anne was saying but it was clearly making Gilbert mad.

Her heart was pounding.

Ellis rolled her eyes every time that Ruby sniffled. She didn't even know John Blythe.

Gilbert had decided enough was enough. Anne had talked on and on about how he was lucky to have at least known his parents.

"When you're don't talking about yourself, maybe tell Ellis to meet me."