49

They all walked in to the town hall as quiet as they could

They all walked in to the town hall as quiet as they could. Gilbert held Ellis hand as he guided her up the stairs. They all handed out the necessary equipment to make sure that the bulbs light up.

"Miss Stacy!" Rachel said as the door slammed and she walked in. Ellis smiled widely. "If you don't mind we're conducting a meeting. I don't recall your presence being requested."

"Indeed my presence was not requested. But I feel I have a right to speak on my own behalf." There were a few mummers but Miss Stacy continued. "It would be easier on all of us if I left. You cannot imagine that I want to cause dissent in your community, or that I appreciate being accused of purposefully doing so. I am here tonight because I asked myself a questioner that I ask you now:" She paused and walked to the front of the room.

"What if the most important thing to focus on regarding your children's education? Petty jealousy? Prejudice? Fear? The important question to ask yourself is: are your children learning? I believe the answer is yes."

"We have to hurry." Anne instructed everyone.

"Change is uncomfortable, because the future is unknown. Yet the future is riding in fast, like a train. And to the best of my ability, I am here to bring your children forward to meet it." She paused.

"I understand my methods are unusual, but hands-on learning and active engagement have proven more effective than rote memorization. Why not encourage them to think for themselves? Why teach only what has come before?" She questioned.

"Recently, somebody dreamed the telegraph electricity, a steam engine. Not that long ago, I bet train travel felt too fast, a dangerous innovation, but can you imagine your lives without it now? Dreamers change the world. Curious minds propel us forward. My intention is to build strong students with bright futures, not just for them, but for everyone. That is why I'm here." Everyone in the room erupted into whispers.

Everyone walked in holding the potatoes and bulbs above their heads until they reached the front of the room.

"What you've just witnessed is the effect of Miss Stacy's methods in action. She taught us about electricity, but she also showed us the spirit of enthusiasm and curiosity that we needed to make this happen. Miss Stacy is an inspiration. We learned more from her in a week than we learned in a year." Anne spoke. "Tell me and I forget, teach me and I remember, involve me and I learn. Different isn't bad, it's just not the same."

Matthew cleared his throat before speaking.

"There's always another way to look at things."

"I returned to Avonlea because I needed what has always been here." Gilbert couldn't help but look at Ellis. "But why would I stay if I can't grow? Miss Stacy supports my ambition to become a doctor. I believe that she is our chance to help us realise our dreams and become more than we are now."

"As someone who lived without change for the bulk of my life and then had great change thrust upon me I can attest that it is the only way to grow and learn." Marilla stood up and spoke.

"Let's put this to a vote. All in favour of keeping Miss Stacy?" Rachel said.

Everyone raised their hands but Ellis was still fascinated by the fact that she made light. Gilbert chuckled, placed his hand beneath hers and raised it up. Everyone cheered once they knew that she could stay.