55

"I don't know my f-family that well

"I don't know my f-family that well. My mother died when I was bo-born and my father died in the a-a-army, when I was two. Making me an orphan. My b-brothers all joined th-the army at 17. Me and my six brothers, Erne-st, Franklin, Patrick, Reuben, James and Carter we're raised by my P-P-P-Po-Pops. H-he's d-dead n-now t-t-too." Ellis began to panic as she stuttered, remembering everything that happened with Pops.

Ellis felt like she couldn't breathe. Her chest was tightening, closing up. Her hands were shaking as she tried to make her way back to her seat.

"Miss Stacy." Gilbert said as he tried to walk over to the brown haired girl.

"Ellis. Please come with me." Miss Stacy said as she took Ellis into the supply room. "Take a deep breath Ellis. Everything's okay." Miss Stacy said soothingly as she shut the doors to the classroom. She took a seat beside Ellis and pulled the younger girl in for a hug. Gently, she rocked her side to side. "It's okay Ellis. Just breathe."

Once Ellis had calmed down Miss Stacy began to apologise.

"I'm sorry for making you do that. I know it must've been hard. But I'm very proud of you."

"It-it's okay." Ellis attempted to crack a smile. "I did-n't mind the reading." Ellis admitted. "My Pops." Ellis paused, clearing her throat. "Never mind." Ellis decided against telling Miss Stacy.

She could cope with it-

-Hopefully.

~

"Alright, Queens study group stays; everyone else have a nice weekend." Miss Stacy said as she dismissed the class.

Ellis stayed behind and tapped anxiously on her desk as she attempted to read the book. She kept getting frustrated at the words moving so eventually, she just slammed it on the desk and gave up.

Everyone else in the class was writing notes for the take notice board.

"Come on Ellie, lets get you home." Gilbert said as she hadn't moved. The whole class had been dismissed and he had just finished talking with Anne, if he would even call it that.

"Huh?" She questioned looking up from her hands. She had been clenching her fists so hard that her nails had dug into her skin and made her palms bleed.

"Let's get you home." Gilbert repeated softly.

Ellis just nodded, not saying a word. Gilbert grabbed her coat and helped her put it on, then he wrapped his scarf around her neck.

Gently, Gilbert placed a light kiss on her forehead.