62

"Mary?" Ellis knocked on her door

"Mary?" Ellis knocked on her door. Mary had clearly been crying, and so had Ellis. Both of their eyes were red from rubbing them.

"Come on in, my sweet sweet girl." Mary attempted to smile. Ellis tried to hold back her tears as she sat beside her.

"I have to thank you Mary." Ellis let a few tears roll down her face. "You've been a mother to me." Ellis paused and wiped her tears. "I never knew my own mother. She died giving birth to me. So, I was raised by my Pops and my brothers. I'm glad-"

Ellis just burst out crying.

"Come here." Mary said opening her arms. Ellis laid next to her and began to cry into her shoulder. Ellis body shook as she sobbed.

"I'm thankful for you being my daughter too." The words made Ellis cry harder. "I loved watching you grow into this beautiful young lady that you have become. You have endless possibilities in front of you Ellie."

Mary chuckled before continuing.

"Promise me that you'll take care of Delphine for me? Can't let her be raised by a bunch of boys now can we."

"I turned out okay." Ellis laughed lightly. "Didn't I?"

"You turned our perfectly Ellis. Despite everything that you have been through." Ellis raised her brow, questioningly. "With your Pops. Your brothers joining the army again."

"How-how did you kn-"

"About your Pops?" Mary questioned and Ellis nodded. "You tense every time someone mentions him. When Gilbert talks about how great he was, you, James and Carter all try your hardest not to get mad or to roll your eyes. Your Pops damaged all of you but you're all much stronger because of it."

"I-"

"I need you to also promise me that you'll marry for love? Marry someone who makes you happy, who makes you giggle and smile. Because you deserve nothing less than that."

"I promise."

~

James walked into Mary's bedroom next. He sat in the chair opposite the bed. He too tried not to cry.

"James." Mary smiled at the boy.

"Mary." He smiled, taking her hand.

Mary smiled at the boy.

"Your sister cried on me. That was the first time I'd ever seen her cry." Mary chuckled and so did James.

"She's a strong one. Not much makes her cry." James admitted.

"So I have noticed."

"Mary, I want to apologise for what I did to Elijah, I had no rig-" Mary cut off James.

"He deserved it. But we do need to think of ways to control that anger of yours." Mary pointed out. James' head fell down, ashamed of himself. "You're such a strong man, James. You only want to defend those who you care about. What you don't realise is that, your siblings can defend themselves. You don't have to take on the role of big brother constantly. It's okay to break down and cry. To not help someone at times. It's okay James." Mary said as she watched the tears roll down his cheeks.

"I can't help it. I just get so mad. It's why the army life was good for me. It was a place I could let out all that frustration and anger." James admitted, scratching the back of his neck.

"I know James." Mary paused, deciding to change the subject. "Ellis told me that you met a lovely lady."

James chuckled and shook his head.

"She's great Mary. Beautiful, smart." He smiled widely, just thinking about the blonde girl. "I wish you could meet her, mom." James didn't even realise he said it until after.

"Me too son, me too." Mary smiled, it warmed her heart to hear those words. "Now send your brother in."

~

"Carter." Mary smiled. "Thank you for everything you've done for me, Bash and Delphine." She smiled. "You've helped us so much with this farm."

"It was my pleasure Mary." Carter admitted honestly.

"Ellis tells me you keep going to Charlottetown to visit Cole." Mary pointed out and Carter nodded. "How is that going?"

"Great." He paused. "Amazing."

"I'm glad." Mary coughed and Carter grabbed her a cup of water.

"Thank you."

"You'll look after your brother and sister won't you? And Delphine?" Mary questioned.

"Of course Mary." Carter smiled looking at the woman. "Thank you for everything Mary."

~

"I'm not proud of myself asking you to do this." Mary said fiddling with her bedsheets. "After all that's happened."

"I'll find him, if I can." Gilbert agreed. As much as he hated Elijah for stealing his Fathers medals, it was what Mary wanted.

"I appreciate you so much Gilbert Blythe." Mary smiled, unshed tears forming in her eyes. She leant toward and grabbed his hand. "You're a big part of my life I'll have you know. You found my husband. A man I couldn't imagine on a ship in the middle of the ocean." They both laughed.

"And you brought him home. Not as a partner, or a friend, but as a brother. Some folks don't understand what you two are, and most aren't even capable of it. But I am grateful knowing Bash is safe with you." Mary smiled.

"Thank you. For bringing love back into my families home." Gilbert got up and hugged Mary.

"That girl you mentioned. Be sure you marry for love." Gilbert chuckled. "And only for love."

Gilbert guiltily didn't think about Winifred, he thought about Ellis. Mary's hand cupped his cheek as she smiled at him.