81

Gilbert knocked on Ellis' door and waited for a response

Gilbert knocked on Ellis' door and waited for a response. The girl hadn't spoken to her since Ernest died. Not that he blamed her, she was in mourning.

"Gilbert." Franklin nodded at him as he opened the door. He had allowed his appearance to become more sloppy and messy. His shirt was untucked and his hair was a mess. The bags under his eyes had gotten much darker from the lack of sleep.

"Is Ellis in?" Gilbert questioned softly.

Franklin just moved to the side, "She's in her room." Gilbert nodded as a thank you and made his way to the Bennett girls room.

He knocked on the door before entering and saw the girl curled up on the bed starting at the patterned wall. "Hey Ellie." Gilbert sat down on the bed and placed his hand on the girls arm. "How you feeling?"

Ellis just shrugged on response. She didn't want to talk. She didn't even want to move.

"Everyone's going to the Town Hall to speak up for Equality. We'd like it if you would come?" Gilbert softly said. He placed his hand on top of Ellis'. Ellis shook her head. She wasn't moving. "Please Ellie, you need to get some fresh air." He paused, "I'll be with you the whole time."

"Go." Patrick said as he leant on the door frame. He had bright red eyes, he'd just being crying. Ellis just pulled the covers further around her. "Ellis."

All her brothers crowded around her room curiously. Each one looked tired and weak. None of the Bennett's were getting much sleep or looking after themselves. Every day Patrick attempted to cook them
a meal to eat but either he burnt it or nobody ate it.

"No. I don't want to go alright?" Ellis shouted at her brother. "I want to stay in bed and not do anything. Our brother has just DIED! Why can't you leave me alone?" Her eyes filled with tears, but she refused to let them fall. "I don't want to cook for you. I don't want to clean for you. I don't want to move. I don't want it." he

James walked into the girls room, "I'll come with you." He whispered. Ellis knew how guilty James felt about Ernest's death. "We can all go. Ernie would have wanted that." James knelt down by the bed and looked at the girl. "Come on." He attempted to smile.