63

Ellis stayed with Mary until Constance and Jocelyn walked in to her room

"You two are not the head strong husband I was expecting to walk through that door but I am glad to see you. My laundry sisters." Mary smiled widely.

"I'll let you be." Ellis smiled, standing up and smoothening her light purple dress down.

"Thank you Ellis. Will you bring me Bash?" Ellis nodded and Mary smiled gratefully as she left.

"Gilbert." Ellis walked over to him with a small smile.

"Ellis are you okay now?" Ellis nodded with a smile as she hugged the boy. He had only been gone for a few hours but she missed him dearly.

"I think you should go and check on Bash, Mary wants him." She whispered. Gilbert nodded, placing a light kiss on her head before going to the barn to check on Bash.

~

"Ellis." Bash tapped the girls shoulder. "May I have a word?" Ellis looked at Anne, Miss Cuthbert and Gilbert.

Ellis nodded and followed Bash into the next room.

"What can I help you with?"

"I have a question, if you don't mind me asking." Ellis nodded, waiting for him to continue. "When your Pops passed, how did you-" He cleared his throat. "How did you get through it?"

Ellis glanced down at the floor sadly.

"Truthfully, I didn't like him much. He wasn't a good man like Gilbert always says. But that's my fault." Ellis let out a light chuckle. "He used to hit me and my brothers, when ever we didn't do as we were told." Her hands began to shake at the memories that flooded her mind. "When he got sick he got worse."

"What!?" Gilbert exasperated as he walked into the living room.

"Gilbert I can-"

Gilbert shook his head and ran upstairs to his room.

"Bash, you need to spend your time with Mary. If I could remember my father I'm sure that's what I would've wanted to do. I know that Ernest regrets not spending more time with our mother. You should see Mary." Ellis said before running after Gilbert.

He was upstairs in his room, sat on his bed with his head in his hands.

"Gilbert?" Ellis knelt in front of him. "I'm sorry I didn't tell you."

"Ellis, you let me talk to Bash and Mary about how he saved my fathers life. How he was such a great man. I didn't know that he was hitting you." Gilbert ran his hand through his hair out of frustration.

"I know Gilbert. I didn't tell you." Ellis said placing her hand on his knee. "I didn't want you to hate him like I did. He did save your fathers life." Ellis stood up and sat beside him.

"But he hurt you Ellis. How can I idolise someone who hurt the girl I lo- care about?" Gilbert turned and faced the girl. His eyes flickered between her lips and her eyes.

"It's okay Gilbert. I'm okay now." Ellis reassured him.