18

Ellis waited patiently outside of the shop for Gilbert, he was gathering some supplies

Ellis waited patiently outside of the shop for Gilbert, he was gathering some supplies. But he made sure to leave her with a pocket knife so that she was somewhat occupied.

She had drawn a circle on the tree and from a distance, she began throwing it. She earned a few stares from people passing but she didn't care.

Once Gilbert left the shop, he just watched her for a minute. She never missed bullseye.

"Ready to go Ellis?" Gilbert questioned.

Ellis nodded with a smile and linked arms with the boy.

"Hey Gilbert!" Billy shouted and Ellis rolled her eyes. "How's it going Blythe?"

"Fine." Gilbert answered bluntly.

"Are you and Ellis courting?" Billy questioned teasingly. Ellis quickly detached herself from Gilbert. "You are aren't you bud? Are you going to get married to little miss stutter?" Billy laughed. "Did you see the way she threw the knife? No girl should throw knives." Gilbert choose too ignore him. "Bud?"

"I'm going to give you a tip." Gilbert turned around to face Billy.

"Yeah?"

"I'm not your bud." Ellis laughed and Gilbert continued walking.

"Yeah right." Billy glared at Ellis and stuck his foot out, making her fall to the ground with a thud.

"Son of a b-"

"Ellis!" Gilbert ran over to the girl and helped her up. She had cut open her chin. "Are you okay?" She just nodded.

"If you ever hassle Ellis again, you'll regret it." Gilbert threatened as Ellis brushed the dirt off her yellow dress.

"Yeah right?" Billy shrugged as if he did nothing wrong.

"Yeah right."

"What's your problem?" Billy questioned as Gilbert and Ellis started to walk away.

"Ask me that again." Gilbert turned and faced Billy. He had hand enough. "No seriously. Go ahead."

"Why you gotta be like that?" Billy questioned.

"Ask me!" Gilbert shouted. Billy and the rest of the class had bullied Ellis since her first day at school and Gilbert decided enough was enough.

Ellis grabbed Gilbert's hand and pulled him away from Billy. He was just going to continue to torment them.

"Come on bud. I don't get you. Seriously, what's your problem?" Billy followed.

Gilbert threw the bag into Billy's hand and punched him. Billy landed on the floor and Ellis laughed psychotically.

Billy threw Gilbert's things out of the way and tackled him to the floor. Billy managed to get one punch in before Gilbert flipped them and punched Billy once more before getting off him.

Slowly, Billy stood up, while Gilbert had his back turned to get his things, Billy tried to run and tackle him again but Ellis pulled out her pocket knife, pushed him to the ground and knelt on his chest.

There was a blankness behind her eyes as the cold of the metal knife pressed against Billy's throat. He looked terrified.

"Ellis!" Gilbert shouted, snapping her out of it.

Ellis got up from off of Billy and walked away.

"Ellis! What the hell just happened?" Gilbert questioned as he ran up to her.

Ellis turned around and faced Gilbert with worry in her eyes.

"Are you okay?"

"I'm fine, Ellie, what was that?" Gilbert questioned. Ellis' heart fluttered, nobody other than her brothers called her Ellie other than her brothers. But hearing it come from Gilbert made her feel all soft inside.

"I best be off home now Gilbert."